On Tuesday, 1 August 2017 15:18:28 UTC-7, John Wiegley wrote:

> AD> I grabbed a couple of other systems and tried a bal command on the
> file,
> AD> with the same results for all: Killed after a short time.
>
> OK, your slowness is due to lack of RAM, so pretty much all that reported
> time
> is being spent swapping.
>
> However, I don't think anyone has enough RAM, since this example consumes
> 8 GB
> within the first 10 seconds.  This is most definitely a bug, since your
> data
> does not represent 8+ GB of information.

Strange, On my low-end laptop, only 1GB of memory is required using Ledger
3.1.1-20160111:

$ /usr/bin/time -v ledger -f ledger.dat stats
Time period: 16-Jul-01 to 16-Jul-31 (30 days)

  Files these postings came from:
    /tmp/ledger.dat

  Unique payees:          1000000
  Unique accounts:           130

  Number of postings:     2000000 (6.7e+04 per day)
  Uncleared postings:          0

  Days since last post:      381
  Posts in last 7 days:        0
  Posts in last 30 days:       0
  Posts seen this month:       0
        Command being timed: "ledger -f ledger.dat stats"
        User time (seconds): 55.54
        System time (seconds): 2.02
        Percent of CPU this job got: 91%
        Elapsed (wall clock) time (h:mm:ss or m:ss): 1:03.24
        Average shared text size (kbytes): 0
        Average unshared data size (kbytes): 0
        Average stack size (kbytes): 0
        Average total size (kbytes): 0
        Maximum resident set size (kbytes): 1151692
        Average resident set size (kbytes): 0
        Major (requiring I/O) page faults: 0
        Minor (reclaiming a frame) page faults: 530082
        Voluntary context switches: 22
        Involuntary context switches: 4987
        Swaps: 0
        File system inputs: 0
        File system outputs: 0
        Socket messages sent: 0
        Socket messages received: 0
        Signals delivered: 0
        Page size (bytes): 4096
        Exit status: 0

 Even running a bal command is relatively light weight:

$ /usr/bin/time -v ledger -f ledger.dat bal > /dev/null
        Command being timed: "ledger -f ledger.dat bal"

        User time (seconds): 36.16
        System time (seconds): 1.62
        Percent of CPU this job got: 63%
        Elapsed (wall clock) time (h:mm:ss or m:ss): 0:59.84
        Average shared text size (kbytes): 0
        Average unshared data size (kbytes): 0
        Average stack size (kbytes): 0
        Average total size (kbytes): 0
        Maximum resident set size (kbytes): 1034692
        Average resident set size (kbytes): 0
        Major (requiring I/O) page faults: 5
        Minor (reclaiming a frame) page faults: 500829
        Voluntary context switches: 12
        Involuntary context switches: 3779
        Swaps: 0
        File system inputs: 456