Thank you, Jostein. I don't  have a ~/.ledgerrc file but created an empty
one. Any suggested settings?

Experimenting a bit more, if I add other other commodities, e.g. this entry:

2017/11/15 zombie investments
    a: 401k: big co 500 idx                             1.745 abcdx @
 $81.23
    a: 401k: bonds idx                                  2.357 lmnop @
 $20.05
    a: 401k: cash                           $-189

Then I get output for --collapse, but only for that entry.

17-Nov-15 zombie investments    <Total>                    $-189.00
                                                        1.745 abcdx
                                                        2.357 lmnop
 $-189.00
                                                                     1.745
abcdx
                                                                     2.357
lmnop

I get other stuff if specifying `reg '^e'`:

17-Nov-01 food and stuff        <Total>                      $32.87
 $32.87
17-Dec-05 food and stuff        e: food: groceries           $11.76
 $44.63
18-Jan-03 gas n go              <Total>                      $23.87
 $68.50
18-Jan-05 food and stuff        e: food: groceries           $57.40
$125.90

Thanks again. For my purposes this isn't really getting in the way but
would be good to understand why this happens. (Especially if ledger is
reporting incorrectly.)