Hey all,

in Ledger and hledger journals you can set eg a posting's date by writing ;
[DATE], a square-bracketed date anywhere in the comment.

I believe in both you can also write ; date:DATE or similar, a tag/metadata
with that name anywhere in the comment.

More details at eg http://hledger.org/journal.html#posting-dates
<http://hledger.org/journal.html#posting-dates>. My understanding is the
bracketed syntax came first.

We are discussing some ambiguities in parsing that arise, at
https://github.com/simonmichael/hledger/issues/778
<https://github.com/simonmichael/hledger/issues/778> .

And basically, awjchen and I are wondering if anybody uses bracketed dates are
used, or how you'd feel if they were dropped, or what thoughts you might have
about issues raised on #778.

Best!