Thanks for checking in on this. My solution was to try combining two files
and see if the performance was acceptable. It was, and with that being the
case I like having the one large file for most of my transactions.

Ledger does really well with:

Time period: 95-May-27 to 19-Jan-25 (8644 days)

  Unique payees:            1664
  Unique accounts:           297

  Number of postings:      75621 (8.7 per day)