Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for categorizing spending (not so much
things like paycheck, brokerage transactions, etc, but stuff like credit
card spending for budgeting). My ledger has around 2800 transactions over
about 2 years, so it's not a ton of data, but it seems like enough that I
could leverage something smarter than just string matching the transaction
narrations.

Does anyone have recommendations for categorizing spending?

I'm thinking of applying a full text search index as follows:

- Each expense account is a "document".
- The document contents is the narration of every transaction for that
account.
- To categorize a new transaction, use an engine like Lucene
<https://lucene.apache.org> to or sklearn.TfidfVectorizer and pick the most
likely account.

Any thoughts on this approach? (aside from being over-engineered. I'm an
engineer, IDK what to tell you it's what I do)

Thanks!