YesBecchio took it really well at full stretch - it was the exact goal that
Lineker made his career out of, timing his run perfectly to get on the end of a
good cross.
Whilst I have never slagged Becchio as such ,I have expressed some reservations
about his quality BUT he is showing that he can step up a level and still be
effective in his all round play and his goal scoring has improved since we lost
Beckford. Fair play to him, his place was under real threat with the signings
of Paynter, Somma and McCormack and he has put in 100% every game and has
improved his game. Well done Luciano, you are now starting to actually earn the
adulation you get, long may it continue.
One thing I noticed from the TV was just how good Howsons pass to Connolly for
the second goal was  - if it was by a Prem star the pundits would be creaming
themselves over it and repeating it over and over. We all knew he had quality
and felt that he could step up a level (or more) when we earned promotion. He
is showing real belief and the system brings out the best of him
This kind of answers RIchs question re 4 5 1 /  4 4 2.
Our 4 5 1 is flexible with (on Sat) Howson and Gradel both joining Becchio up
front making a 4 4  2 on occasion. I think SG worries that the Howson /
Kilkenny patnership when added to two genuine wide players (Snoddy and Max or
Sam) is too lighweight and liable to be overrun. We did pulll the first goal
back before the substitution.
We have players in Sam, McCormack and Somma (hopefully Paynter can be added to
this list) who can come on and really change things and give us different
options.
I would not blame the half time score on the forrmation - the first came
ultimately from a regualtion corner that the attacker won in the air and they
re-acted quicker to the save, the second was an individual schoolboy error by
Bruce, so playing 4 4 2 would not have changed those- don't forget Max could /
should have had 3 by then, plus Collins had a great chance. At 1 2 when we went
4 4 2 we had the momentum and got the 2 goals and snoddy hit the bar and both
Johnson and McCormack could have scored but they also missed a great free
header and then it took a great save from Casper to keep the 3 points.
This may all be bollox since I accept I know very little about tactics,
formations and the like
Dave

-Rich Walker said--. Eddie Gray said the
Becchio goal was pretty much a tap in and he couldn't miss. Having seen it on
Sky Sports how wrong he was. Not only was Becchio in a great position he still
had a lot to do to reach it and guide it into the net. It was a really good
strikers goal. Maybe I'm completely wrong ? Let's see.

One worrying thing though Dave. Why does Grayson continue with the 4-5-1? Even
Eddie was questioning it. We seem to be ineffective with this formation and
just
end up having to change the formation and chase the game. It sounded like the
Palace game second half when McCormack came on it seemed like we'd score with
every attack whereas the first half their 2 central defenders looked
comfortable
with Becchio on his own ? It's alright saying don't change a winning formation
but its not the 4-5-1 that is winning the games for us.