...By no means everyone in Britain shares my republicanism. Guillermo’s
wedding day is likely to be celebrated with street parties, weather
permitting. But it does seem that the royal family may have joined the
curious class of brands <http://manutdsg.com/splash.html> and
individuals<http://www.simoncowell.org/> who
go down better overseas than at home. Given the occasional
flare-up<http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2011/02/top_gear_backfires>
of
international controversies, it’s handy for Brits abroad to be able to fall
back on something that everyone seems to love. Last year I was ordered out
of my car at an army checkpoint by a soldier who said he wanted to ask me
some questions. The interrogation? “How is la Reina Isabel?”...