Dear all,

I'm writing to you in order to clarify a number of changes to the Laws of The
Game, which have been discussed as a result of the massive failings in letting
Bolton Wanderers and Stoke City into a Wembley FA Cup Semi Final.
The oversights that let this happen need to be eradicated, so a number of
changes were discussed. The scourge of sporting meritocracy that has polluted
the game more and more over the years must be clamped down upon.

Therefore, having conducted research including focus groups in Merseyside,
questionnaires at a West Ham v Arsenal match, and through extensive online
research on 606, Facebook and Football 365, we have listened to the Modern
Football Fan, and have introduced the following changes:

1) A football match will no longer be decided by goals. I think we can all
agree with what one West Ham fan said: "Sure, Stoke's style of play brings them
goals, but football isn't all about scoring goals, is it?". Proof, if proof is
needed, that the method of deciding a match by goals scored is antiquated, and
goals should not be allowed to further smear the game.
Matches will therefore be decided on the following criteria:

- Number of short passes: One point per pass, although any pass over 25 yards
is punishable with a free kick. Online research showed that just 79% of Stoke's
passes, and 83% of Bolton's passes, were under 20 yards long.
This must be stopped. (We will also order the introduction of the Overhead Rule
so successful in 5-a-side, as we have noticed the recent trend of very tall
players for Stoke and Bolton)
- Style points: Extra points will be given for passes attempted with the
outside of the boot. NOTE: the pass does not need to actually get to it's
intended target - we will call this the Mereiles Rule. Bonuses will be awarded
if the pass is accompanied by the player looking the other way. It looks
better, and telly love to put them in slow motion.
- Stepovers will also be considered for style points, regardless of how
successful they were in deceiving the opponent. This was a rule that we
considered last season, but Bolton went and signed Vladimir Weiss. We are sure
this will work. If it's good enough for Gymnastics, Diving and Strictly, it's
good enough for football.
- Media Multiplier: This is extremely important in ensuring extended success
for big clubs. It has now got to the stage where ITV have, for the first time
in three years, not shown an FA Cup Semi Final on terrestrial TV. We fully
endorse Football Snobbery in all its forms, so will be multiplying any style
points in line with how the media perceive the respective clubs.
Therefore, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham will have triple
points, West ham United will have their point multiplied by 2.5, Chelsea,
Newcastle and Manchester City will have their points doubled.
Any team not mentioned above, and situated north of Aston Villa, will have
their points divided by 2.5. Bolton and Stoke will have theirs divided by 8.
This will not be up for review, unless some really rich people take over a club.
However, a three week grace period is essential, just in case the new owners
make a farce of the game. This will be known as the "Venky's Veto".
- Phone Vote: To ensure the big clubs are fairly treated we will introduce a
phone vote to add points onto each score. It works on X Factor and the ilk, and
look how successful that is in finding critically acclaimed artistes.
It's a fair system based on popularity rather than ability - members of the
public have never been wrong when it comes to deciding what's best.

2) Tackling, in all it's forms, must be stamped out of the game starting now.
Or after Abou Diaby has smashed someone's ankle in. Referees will not be given
the power to punish tackles. The process for punishing tackles will now be thus:

- If a player has fallen over, whether as tackler or tacklee, play must be
stopped
- All players have three seconds after play is stopped to surround the referee
- After three seconds, the team with the most players close to the referee, and
once he has considered the level of aggression towards referee and the pitch of
the fans whining (the higher the better), the referee will decide who has put
the most effort into intimidating him and punish the opponents with a straight
red card.
- Retrospective punishment will be aided if the fans of the apparent victimised
club have publicly stated that this one particular tackle has
spelt the death of the English game. Especially if the words "it wasn't a
tackle - it was assault" and "you never see these tackles in
Spain/France/Germany/Italy" have been used.
- Remember, watching the tackle again should not be considered when enforcing
this retrospective punishment. There is no more irrefutable
evidence than the vitriol of Modern Football Fan. FACT. (The research shows
that 87% of respondents believe adding "FACT" to the end of an opinion makes it
fact)

There are exceptions to these rules, of course. If the player tackling is
wearing an Arsenal shirt, then any injury to the tacklee is fair. Remember,
everyone except Arsenal players have purposefully gone out to maimopponents.
The research backs up our thoughts that any case of Arsenal players making
similar tackles to those that have been considered assault
are because of intense provocation. Which, as research shows, makes violence OK.

Exceptions are also considered if the players doing the tackling are named
Gerrard, Carragher or Scholes. Although there was no need to remind people
about this.

3) The words "At least we play football the right way" is now considered
extenuating circumstances when justifying any disciplinary indiscretions. If
the person saying this is French, then all accusations against them should be
dropped immediately.

4) Any team found not selling their stadium out every match will be docked ten
points. If there's one thing the research showed us, it's not that the game is
suffering because of diving, violence, hooliganism, corruption, over-exposure,
fans being priced out of the game or financial mismanagement.
It's because there are a couple of thousand empty seats around the stadium.

These rule changes will be introduced as of the beginning of the 2011-12
season. We cannot let the likes of Stoke City and Bolton Wanderers, with their
different tactics and scoring goals with their heads, railroad the game in the
way they're doing. It's offending fans of clubs that moan the most, and that is
simply unacceptable.

Yours,
The FA