Ian,

Whilst I agree that the most vulnerable people in society do indeed require
some form of protection, my point that most of the principles included within
the ECHR and then enacted into English law via the HRA were already the
subjects of various acts of parliament is still valid. All the HRA did was
simplify it by putting things in the same place and added in a few other
principles to make it joined up.

Could you please highlight some of the "countless decisions of the highest
courts in this country based fundamentally on the HRA".

Then as an aside if you find out how many cases are heard by all 35000+ members
of the judiciary per annum.
If the actual number of these "
countless decisions of the highest courts in this country based  fundamentally
on the HRA" gets anywhere near double figures when calculated as a percentage
against total cases I will be humbled beyond belief.
It is worth remembering that the higher courts generally have the high profile
appeals but do a significantly smaller portion of the work, whilst they make
some very important decisions that generate a huge amount of column inches they
only represent the small tip of a very large judicial iceberg.

What evidence/experience do you have to show that the HRA crops up on decisions
(or even in discussions) "very frequently" in court?

I am not being deliberately argumentative, I am just interested in
understanding it from another perspective and seeking to fill in the holes of
my knowledge.

Cheers

Chris