OK, i know it's a bot corny leaping in with opinions from a couple of pre
seasons and a couple of games on telly.....but have been reading all the
reports (thanks all, and Dave and Rich especially as ever) and the
arguments.

I've been a bit disappointed at the apparent lack of, not so much ambition,
but ability to get that inspirational signing or two.  It does seem like
we've been in for one or two decent players but been thwarted in those
attempts.
Apart from that, I wasn't so sure.....We had a pretty good squad last season
that was almost or  just about good enough to get into Prem. (I think we
have a psychological problem as much as a defensive one that stalled us?).

How much improvement did we need?

I would take Snoddy and Max over what any other team has to offer.
 I thought Schmeical was OK, thought had some weaknesses...losing him looked
possibly questionable....,
centre mid coped but seemed could do with something (especially as we
usually had an extra man in there).  Kilkenny and Johnson have gone, and I
never completely rated either.  KK had some ability but didn't command or
show up always, credit to Johnson for making the most of his limited
qualities but hoped we could do better.
Up front....difficult one.  bechhio is a donkey BUT not only scores the
goals (which is good enough on its own) but makes things happen, unsettles
opposition and energises the crowd. Somma looked an exciting, underused
talent.  Great goals ratio too.  Paynter and McCormack I'm less convinced
by.  I do think Billy could have been the required target man, BUT he needs
confidence and I don't think we can afford to give him the chance, I love
McCormacks movement, how he changes the shape of what's opening up for the
midfield, but he doesn't really deliver when on the ball.  I was at
Doncaster last season when he and Somma linked up really well.  So, yes, I'd
like a striker, but at our level, what is available?   I think experimental
loans would have to be the answer there.
The obvious problem was the back line.  I don't think anyone convinced.
 Especially at centre back experience counts for a lot, but at our level,
decent experienced centrebacks are only available as their physical powers
are waning. Other options are bound to have their weaknesses, limitations or
inexperience.  Again,probably loans or punts on the O Dea's probably as good
as can be brought in?

So, without West Ham or Leicester type of cash, what or who would I have
liked/wanted SG or KB to bring in???

We got:
Transfers.  Keepers.  Early days but sounds like we have done well.
 Schmikel sent off yesterday for two petulant yellows tells a story too.
 Saw Stockdale let in 7 yesterday but looked excellent!  Trust our guy is as
good or better.
Brown.  Good call I'd say.  On paper a big improvement on Johnson (except
for the occasisional left foot rocket).  Sounds like he's done OK. He plays
a role that doesn't need to be noticed (as we all know by trying to explain
the world class that Batty was).
Loans. Keogh impressed me today.  I'd describe him as a better quality
Bechhio.
Returnees: we all have great hopes for Knis, probably not much better around
in our league?  Nunez looks a real treat - suspect he might do a Max, hope
so.
The developing youth.  Early days but Clayton seems sensational.  I thought
he did the job of both Kilkenny, Johnson, Livermore and perhaps Doyle all at
once.  I remeber Delph bossing League One, I can see Clayton taking hold of
this league's midfield.  How great will that be!!!!!  (btw I thought Howson
played a great supporting role alongside him today).  Is Lees another
Woodgate/Kilgallon...you are all writing him up.  If so, we have a strong CB
pairing and a strong (if headless) spine.  Aidy White looks OK (sorry but
Parker imo is poor).

So...we were almost there last year, and seem imo to be better off this
year. And Loans still to come.

we easily outplayed Newcastle.  More objective reports suggest Sthmptn were
good, their goals unusually hot and we were NOT so bad!  Boro was not lost
for football, rather discipline reasons.  Bradford, typical underdogs,
played out of their skins, woke us up, but we did, came back and won. Hull
result may have papered over some cracks but a deserved win - and a rare
margin for us), and I thought we matched "Prem quality" west Ham away
brilliantly today in football (great passing) and in spirit.
I predict we'll go through a dozen more defenders this season - hope one or
two fit the bill (remember Naylor and Sodje).  And a striker or two..(though
looking at the potency of our midfield I'd consider playing 4-6-0.

Sorry for going on so long.

Nif.