Well SG picked the team I wanted to see,with Connolly recalled at right back
and Lees in his proper position as centre back. I don't wish to say I told you
so but....... A clean sheet and apart from a couple of decent saves from
Lonergan it was a reasonbly comfortable one. We kept them mainly to long range
shots and a few set piece scrambles.It is not problem solved just yet and
Portsmouth were pretty poor but at least it is a step in the right direction
and we did look to have a real shape and balance to the team. One other plus
from the Connolly recall was a return to form by Snoddy who had his best game
of the season -whether it was a co-incidence, the forthcoming internationals or
the support he got from Connolly I suppose only time will tell, but the two of
them did link up well.In centre midfield Clayton and Howson again looked like
could be a formidable partnership although Clayton was a bit too casual /over
complicated at times and made two awful
 attempts at gaining a penalty (should have been booked)Up front Keogh and
McCormack again dovetailed well but again Keogh missed a decent opportunity and
I do fear that his lack of goals will soon cost him his place.White and Pugh
also combined well down the left hand side and like I said it all led to us
looking well balanced and with a good shape.The subs all made an impression and
there looks to be a lot more to come from both the Finns.As for the goal a good
corner was well met by Pugh who gained some space for himself and nodded home -
well worked goal.On the subject of our corners and free kicks I was a bit
surprised to see McCormack taking a few especailly when he was just crossing
into the box - surely he is the player we want in the 6 yd box ready to pick up
the pieces and put the ball in the net.Whatever - 3 deserved points and a rare
clean sheet - congratualtions all roundDave