There are different ways of measuring productivity and France is a long way
from being top in all of them, but even so, taking a relatively unfavorable
measure for France (GDP per hour worked in USD, OECD, 2010 figures) France
weighs in at 57,7 USD compared to the UKs 46,2 USD. Even if the French
under-declare the real hours worked, those figures explain the better
public services, more generous pensions, having an aircraft carrier when
the neighbours don't anymore ;) and so on....

Damian