I went - it was a moderate performance against a poor but willing (and very
tall) Shrewsbury team.

We were a couple of minutes late for kick off and were told by a bloke alongside
us that S'bury had already missed a sitter and that we had announced the signing
of El Hadj Djouf - to a chorus of boos. He certainly got booed as he warmed up -
another piece of strategic brilliance by our management team. I suppose many
will take the view, "He's a scrote but he's our scrote..." ah well. But when he
came on, he did look the most accomplished footballer on the park.

8 new faces in the starting 11.

The first two goals were gimmes thanks to dreadful defensive cock-ups; the
fourth was a penalty - a reasonable shout; but then they could have had on a few
minutes earlier and Pearce could easily have seen red when he hacked down the
forward through on goal - he only got yellow, despite being the last man. S'bury
also claimed that one scramble had a ball going over the line only for Kenny to
claw it back.

Some bits and worked and fitted well together - some things clunked and looked
shaky - the defence didn't look composed without Lees - it just had an air of
the makeshift about it.

Kenny's lack of height will be a problem with corners and free kicks around the
box this year - he can't dominate the box. Pearce looks "no nonsense" as people
have said before. Quite liked Byrom at right - good cover - good speed and
invention going forward - needs to work on the distribution which was sloppy.
The number 2 was steady, but small for a Chalf (I think he is really a full
back). Austin dominated midfield, the others in there were not too
inspiring...Norris (captain), Varney, and the other fella - all need to be
looked at over the next few weeks to get a fuller impression.

Becchio was feckin useless and depressingly same old same old up front - but was
useful when defending corners as he seems to be about our tallest player. Ross,
has been sold the "you can be our new Snodgrass" ticket - allowed to roam and be
a playmaker - let's hope he's up to it.

All-in-All this old cynic was happy to be at the game...it felt good somehow.

so here we go again.

Nick