Well another 3 points and 4 wins in the last 5 games. A rare clean sheet as
well. So those of us who went have to be happy I suppose. The sparse, sub
20k, crowd and the paltry turn out from Ipswich made it all a very low key
affair and it is hard to be too over enthusiastic about it. Having said
that we were deserved winners against a team in a decent run of form -
albeit they were mainly very poor.
We brought Diouf in in place of Ross and Thomas in in place of Hall and
these 2 were our best players. Green also continued to impress.We bossed
the first half and it was worrying that we went in only 1-0 up. This was
due to some desperate defending by them including a good save from a shot
by Diouf and a goal line clearance after a strike by Norris. They had a
couple of breaks but never really threatened. A series of corners ended
with us opening the scoring. At first we thought the keeper had made a real
mess of a header by Lees but the replay on the big screen showed that
Thomas, stood just in front of the keeper, had got a little flick to divert
it past him. We continued to control the game and then came the Becchio
moment - I am not sure whether the bet between Rich W and RIch N is on or
not, and I was a bit worried that I was going to be the arbiter of whether
Becchio had a chance - well there can be no doubt whatsoever that he had a
chance today A real gilt edged one at that. A free header from inside the 6
yard box with the keeper nowhere to be seen. It was one of those that you
genuinely think that you could have scored from that position but somehow
Becchio managed to put it high and wide - it really was a bad miss.
We went in at half time worried that we would rue that missed chance and
the other half chances we had created, and our fears were almost warranted
as Ipswich came out much the stronger in the second half and took the game
to us. Thankfully they looked a poor team and did not carve open any real
chances. Their momentum fizzled out and we began to control the game again.
Then our best move of the game finished it off for us. They surrendered the
ball easily to Diouf in the middle of the park, he had both Norris and
Thomas overlapping down the left hand side and played it out wide. The ball
went to Norris who then shovelled it on to Thomas who took it forward,
looked up and then picked out Green powering into the box, he met it first
time with a crisp , well taken shot into the corner. A great goal and one
that deservedly won us the game. We closed up shop a bit with Brown
replacing Thomas not long after Diouf had gone off for McCormack. Without
our best 2 players the game just sort of petered out. Ipswich had more of
the game after the second goal and had a couple of shots that never really
threatened and we hung on for the points.
An instantly forgettable game in front of a sparse and uninterested crowd
but the players did their bit - 3 points and a clean sheet, it is hard to
ask for more really.
I am still not sure about Tonge ( very in and out)  or Norris (not sure
what it is he does really) but Thomas looks quality on the ball and Byram
continues to impress. Also at the back Lees and Tate looked solid enough
against a really powder puff attack.
We will face better opposition but we did all that could be asked of us and
we stay within touching distance of the play offs. The new owners need to
invest wisely in January and somehow need to bring back the 'feelgood
factor' around the place - maybe a good performance in front of a full
house on Wednesday will help lift the spirits ?

Dave
PS goals from today
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvypd2_leeds-2-0-ipswich_sport#.UMzhDaya8ms