Clermont Foot last season. They were clear in 2nd place in the French 2nd
Division with 5 or 6 games to go (Top 3 places - automatic promotion, no
play offs) and they bottled it badly. I don't think the problem was
entirely the players - I think the club itself got cold feet and that
nobody from the President down really wanted to go up.

Its a terrible thing to do to the fans though - I went to the last home
match which was supposed to be a promotion party. Even though things had
gone a bit pear shaped, by winning the game (against a promostion rival)
they would still have had promotion in their own hands but no - you could
sense it an hour before the match that it was never going to happen.

I've not been back since. It must been worse for a true Clermont Foot
supporter.

Damian