I was....but not anywhere near where the terrible killings occurred.  Memory is
a blur, probably because I tried to block it all out, rightly or wrongly.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr Michael Benjamin" <m...@myray.com>
To: "JOHN SYKES" <jsy...@shaw.ca>
Cc: "Ian Murray" <ianjamesmur...@hotmail.com>, "LEEDSLIST"
<leedslist@gn.apc.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 1:10:47 PM
Subject: Re: [LU] Good day for Yorkshire

Were you at the Munich Olympics?
What do you remember?

Dr Michael Benjamin,
Community Psychiatrist
-------------------------------
myRay: On-line Self-Help CBT
http://www.myRay.com
http://www.myRay.org
------------------------------
Mental Health:
http// www.MyDoctorExplains.com
--------------------------------
Auditing || Quality Control
http://www.MyDoctorExplains.com/alamo/
--------------------------------
Blog:
http://www.DrMichaelBenjamin.com

On 18 May 2013 20:13, JOHN SYKES < jsy...@shaw.ca > wrote:

So do I. Eric, I didn't mean to dump on you, but!

When I grew up in Ripon, Yorks., I managed to go to Ripon Grammar School,
thanks to my grandparents. I played every game offered there...trouble was it
was cricket and rugby...no football. Some guy jumped on my back as I ran for a
try, and bloody near killed me...that ended the rugby and for some wonderful
reason, I took to watching Ripon City Football club play each week, and with
trips to my grandparents, games at Elland Road, watching LU. That was in the
late 40's-early 50's. I got a great start in cricket, earning a trip to the
Yorkshire Nets one season. All of that came to a crushing end when my Dad
decided the family wold move to Canada. Not exactly the home of either sport,
then or even now.

My long career in sports broadcasting enabled me to visit England quite often
and of course managed to squeeze in some visits to E.R. and Headingley.
Craziest thing was in cricket, Denis Compton was my hero in the early
going....try that one when Sir Len should have been my choice.

Some of you may have a great love for Leeds United, for LU football, and maybe
even England football. Others have a heart large enough to add cricket to their
list, just as I do. But for Pete's sake it doesn't have to be just one....sport
is so large a territory...embrace it...its not the same today as it once
was...when players took to the games because they loved to participate, not
simply to fill their bank accounts.

When I hit 75 later this year, I can safely say sport has given me a wonderful
life as a kid and later as a broadcaster.....the Munich Olympics tragedy, the
Montreal Games, Calgary '88...World Curling from all over the place. Nothing
would match my watching LU come out onto the pitch, or at the old Fourth Test
Match in July at Headingley...seeing Hutton and Washbrook open an England
innings.

Cheers mates, and no offense Eric....

John "Grampa" Sykes