Highlight of the day for me was getting home and drinking Ilkley Pale in the
sun in my garden. The game for me was very poor and showed yet again that we
are not a team and Hecky hasn't stamped any authority / personality on the
team. We are still playing a very predictable, slow build up game and we rely
too much on Siaz and Hernandez to get the ball and beat 5 men. When they're
both having stinkers we're going to find it hard however thankfully Barnsley
had a couple of defenders who has no pace at all which allowed Roofe to outpace
for an easy winning goal for Allioski. Yes Roofe outpaced someone ! Jeez.
Barnsley are rubbish but they have one or two players that actually looked
better than anything we had on offer. Big, ungamely lanky twat in midfield
looked awkward but he held on to the ball well and got them moving and Hammill
was also lively as he always seems to be against us. Only surprise was that he
didn't score.
We started ok without really creating any chances - the only one was through a
Barnsley defensive mistake which gave Allioski a one on one that he put wide
with ease.
Tom Pearce then intercepted a ball, ran forward and hit it into the bottom
right hand corner. Good strike , good goal.
We then just went to sleep and Barnsley started to dominate and must have had
half a dozen corners which we defended very shakily. Peacock made two great
saves, one from a free kick which was whipped over and everyone left leaving a
difficult ball for BFP to palm away. Seen them creep in many a time so well
done to him. Then a top class save as Hamill (?) skipped his way past 3 white
shirts only to see his shot tipped around the post by BFP. This was a top
drawer save and whilst I've yet to be convinced by BFP's command of his defence
and area there's no doubt that the young lad is a great shot stopper. The
Barnsley goal came as a result of the pressure and a hard hit cross came to
O'Connor with pace and he deflected into his own net. A tad unlucky but a
consequence of the way were playing in the first half.
So overall I think we were lucky to go in level and playing Roofe as a lone
striker wasn't working.
Second half we did come out looking livelier especially Roofe and he managed to
skip past the static Barnsley defender and put it on a plate for Allioski.
We looked better without creating too many chances but Barnsley continued to
trouble us. They had a goal disallowed for off-side and what looked like to me
a good penalty claim but he got booked for diving. To be fair, didn't see too
many complaints from the Barnsley players. Hamill took Pearce to the cleaners
on one attack and put the ball in only for the Barnsley man to miss from close
range. Looked like an incredible miss but maybe someone got a foot in ?
Barnsley pushed men forward as they had nothing to loose but in truth they are
a relegation team and really didn't create much in the final minutes. They did
however leave lots of space at the back but all our counter attacks were
squandered mainly by Ekuban who came on and just lost possession with every
touch. He really has to do better than that.
Overall, we maybe deserved it but it was a poor perfromance for me.
BFP - 8. Our man of the match - that says it all
Pennington - 5. All over the shop. Tried to get forward and to be fair he did
have some success as with his defending but you never felt confident with him
at right back.
Jansson - 6. I thought he got through his usual fair share of clearances and
tackles but we looked shaky on corners and free kicks and he is part of that.
O'Connor - 5. Own goal was unfortunate but he didn't fill me with confidence
today.
Pearce - 6. Good goal but was skinned a couple of times by Hamill and I wonder
whether he can defend. Slamming 25 yarders in is a good bonus for a left back
but ultimately you have to be able to defend on the back foot and to be honest
I've not seen that from this lad yet. Anyone remember Ian Harte ?
Phillips - 5. Standard Phillips performance. One paced it around the pitch,
tidy on the ball, put in some tackles, tried a ridiculous 40 yard volley.
Standard stuff from him. Not good enough.
Vierra - 5. Got himself booked early on which affected his game. Surprised
Hecky didn't take him off earlier for Forshaw.
Allioski - 6. I thought he put himself about a bit first half. Should have
scored but then made up for it second half. An annoying player.
Roofe - 5. No impact whatsoever first half but as Barnsley defenders tired he
got his chance and did well for the goal. He had a couple of other moments in
the second half but overall he isn't the answer and in my opinion not good
enough to be considered a squad player if we really want to go up next year.
Siaz - 4. Looks a yard slower than earlier in the season which really affects
his game. He can't get beyond players and can't hurt teams. If you think back
to the games like away at Barnsley he tore teams apart. He's not doing that now
and all he seems to be doing his frustrating himself and his team mates.
Hernandez - 5. Never have a seen a player with such talent be able to switch
off and look like a player who cannot pass a ball. How frustating is it to see
him give the ball away so cheaply at times and then the next play a 30 yard pin
point pass.
Subs:
Ekuban - 0. Candidate for worst sub performance of the season Forshaw - glad
he's back.
Hecky - got some abuse at the end from Barnsley fans. I like the fact he's
giving young lads a chance but I want to see some indication of what Hecky is
bringing ?