I have got to agree- Ayling made a massive difference and showed just how much
we missed him. He was very good today and really drove the team on, he always
wanted the ball and always tried to do something positive with it. We also
commented on how good he was with the young lad (Edmunson) when he came on, we
had a corner and as he stood in the box Ayling went right to him and patted him
on the shoulder and had a word in his ear - real captaincy / old hand stuff
Forshaw also impressed again and brought the best out of Vieira who continued
his recent return to form - these two at the heart of midfield next season
could be the solid base we need
QPR were already on their holidays and made it easy for us today and so it is
hard to read much into the result or performance - we did go out on a bit of a
high though so that was good. Like QPR though many fans were there in body
only. We got to the ground right on kick off (so missed the applause and the
reason for it) and noticed lots of fans stayed in the Fanzone finishing their
drinks rather than going to watch the game and then, of the 5 of us 3 were in
the bar / food area so missed the second goal
Nothing much happened in the first 20 or so minutes, Matt Smith caused us a few
problems but did not hit the target, then a great run and cross by Pearce led
to an almighty goal mouth scramble that led to 2 or 3 players failing to score
when they perhaps should have done. Then from the corner taken by Forshaw,
Phillips won the first ball and headed towards goal where Roofe was stood with
his back to goal and pulled off a brilliant overhead kick that gave the keeper
no chance - a brilliant finish and his 11 th of the season making him our top
scorer (not the 20+ that Wood got last year)
That almost finished it as a contest as they had nothing to offer and we took
total control without being particualry good. Pearce had a rasping shot and we
had a few half chances
Second half started in a bizzare fashion - we should have had a corner but the
ref gave them the goal kick which the keeper hit straight to Phillips who
shrugged off the nearest defender and did a clever little turn before scuffing
his shot into the net 2 -0
We continued to dominate with little real attempts on goal - Edmundson came on
and nearly scored but his shot was deflected - cannot believe he is only 16
looking at the size of him and he gave it plenty of effort. Alioski nearly
scored direct from a corner but the keeper tipped it over the bar and he had
one other shot - a great move and cross found him unmarked in the six yard box
but his strike was right at the keeper who blocked it
A very decent sized crowd enjoyed the day in the sun and a decent victory

We did not stay for the post match "lap of appreciation" and the game was too
little too late really and often had the feel of a pre season friendly but it
was nice to finish on a bit of a high and to see BPF get his first clean sheet
No idea how many of this lot will still be with us next season - the
introduction of o'Kane was met with more than a few boos - and no one will be
that unhappy to see the end of a season that, once again, promised much
(remember when we were top of the league and Saiz and Alioski looked like
tearing this Division apart) and delivered nothing
Some big decisions to be made - starting with do we keep Heck (whose old
Barnsley side were relegated today)
I am glad that this season is done with but will, no doubt, be itching to get
back to ER and LUFC in a few weeks time
All the best to you all over the closed season
Dave