      From: Brendan McWilliams <brendan_mcwilli...@hotmail.com>
 To: "leedslist@gn.apc.org" <leedslist@gn.apc.org>
 Sent: Monday, 2 July 2018, 11:55
 Subject: Re: [LU] Tippy Tappy

Hi all,

provoked into a semi-defence of Spain....

Their way of playing - possession football  on the ground - remains the best
quality football over the last decade. Both RM & FCB play this way, it's a joy
to watch, has been a joy to watch now for years and you only need to look at
their European trophies these last 10 years.

RM's midfield has the likes of Modric, Isco and Kroos, FCB have Coutinho,
Rakitic and Messi - and none of them know how to tackle because they don't have
to with possession football.

(Note also that RM haven't really spent that much money recently - their last
splurge was 3 years ago, although I suspect that's about to change.)

Spain's abysmal failure is due to:
- their players and style being so good that every single frickin' team that
plays them now has already given up before they start. They park the bus (and
then some) and go for a 0-0 draw. Russia in particular yesterday, Iran before
them. Even Portugal sat back.  Saying Spain are boring, yet overlooking the
opposition is plain silly. When Mou's teams do nothing and shut up shop, the
other team are accused of being dull?

- half the team being from a club team that has Ronaldo, the other half a club
team that has Messi. So these guys are all waiting around for a spark of genius
that isn't coming, then it's just giving it to someone else hoping they'll have
that creativity. Xavi was able to do it, Isco is nearly there, but otherwise
they're all passing around hoping for something to happen. You could say the
same for Germany too - all waiting for a killer pass or touch of magic that
never came.

- So, if it's playing against 9 or 10 defenders and you can't dribble through
THAT many or thread a pass through minimal space, then the only options are
crosses from the wings or long balls from deep.  Whilst Hierro played Costa up
front, nobody played off him (like what Griezmann does in ATM) and so he's
totally isolated and looks like a lemon but when used right, he's outstanding.
No wingers: yesterday they had Asensio (not a winger really), Isco went into
the middle and Silva is brilliant but not a winger either.

All this BS about tiki-taka being dull etc - what do you do if the other team
doesn't want to play? You give them the ball?  They usually don't even want the
ball as they'll just lose it going forward, then get caught.  In short, Spain
should have went longer with speed - but they didn't and another tournament
wasted.

As to weather this is a great WC or not - yes it is.

So few teams play by lamping the ball up by default, all are playing on the
ground, the refs have been mostly outstanding, numerous games decided in the
last 10mins and yes, VAR has been a good addition.  The lack of "stars" you
have to put down to the fact that there are so few very bad teams any more and
it's a more equal tournament (compared to others). All the stars before shone
because they were basically playing against traffic cones.

Also, who can remember Euro 92, Euro 96 (the other games), about half of Italia
90,  quite a lot of WC2010 (Algeria vs England anyone?).... they were
absolutely dire. Best WC in recent times for me was WC2006 when a young Germany
came through under Klinsmann playing amazing football.

BMW