I felt that game was typical of much of our season, and why I've felt for
months that we won't go up.
First, our finishing is not good enough. We dominated possession, had more than
a dozen shots, but I'm not sure we had a single shot on target. Roberts was the
most guilty party, with chances in each half to put us ahead, but even Pontus
could have equalized at the end when he put it wide from a few yards out. We
just are not consistently sharp enough in front of goal.
Second, we need at least even-handed treatment from the refs, but we don't get
it (see our penalties awarded stats compared to other top teams). By sending
off Casilla when there were two Leeds covering defenders, but not sending off
Baldock for an over-the-top, studs up challenge (having already failed to book
him for a previous foul), he handed Sheffield United a major advantage.
Third, Bielsa has to show a bit more adventure with our academy products. I am
bemused when I read articles that credit Bielsa for giving youth a chance.
Every chance he gets Bielsa puts a journeyman senior player (Douglas, Dallas)
on ahead of a more skillful academy product (Clarke, Shackleton). I can't be
the only supporter to feel completely unexcited when I see Dallas getting ready
to come on. I've said it numerous times before: Clarke is our most dangerous
player. Given only 15 minutes today, he still created one of our best chances.
Our game plan for the next eight games must be to work the ball to him quickly
when he is in space on the right (not ponderously, passing it to him as a last
resort when there are no good options left) and let him attack. Clarke's
crossing is ten times more dangerous than Alioski's. I would start him ahead of
either Roberts or Harrison. (I am convinced there must be some deal with Man
City/Pep to start Harrison.) I have also seen enough of Shackleton to convince
me that he's got more of an eye for a smart pass, and (even) more energy than
several players who are starting ahead of him.
Anyway, my prediction still stands (even though I desperately hope I'm wrong):
we will lose the play-off final in which major controversial decisions will go
against us,
Cheers!
Sean