From: Leedslist <leedslist-boun...@gn.apc.org> on behalf of seanscribe--- via
Leedslist <leedslist@gn.apc.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 3:38:41 AM
To: leedslist@gn.apc.org <leedslist@gn.apc.org>
Subject: [LU] LU: Take Us Home

So I finally finished the documentary this evening. It's very moving and I
would recommend it. A few observations:
- It's clearly not a completely independent production. While there are
controversial episodes covered (Bamford's feigning getting whacked against
Villa, Spygate, etc. etc.) there's very little new information revealed about
these. (For instance, a more "newsy" documentary might have interviewed the
intern/employee who actually did the spying against Derby.) Some important
episodes are completely omitted. (For example, there is absolutely no mention
of Jack Clarke's bizarre collapse on the bench at 'Boro, let alone an
explanation of what caused it, beyond the vague "virus" that the club belatedly
told us about.)
- The series does not go into great detail about most of the squad or the
backroom team. There's no mention of the under-23s winning the national
championship, no real discussion of Carlos Corberan, Jack Clarke, Jamie
Shackleton, etc.
- It's a brilliant portrayal of the human side of the club: players, management
and supporters. You'd need the proverbial heart of stone not to be affected by
the scenes of the players and backroom staff in tears after the last Derby
game. In particular, I came away with new respect for Kalvin Phillips, Liam
Cooper, Marcelo Bielsa, Victor Orta, Angus Kinnear and Andrea Radrizzani. One
can criticize various personnel decisions that Orta made, particularly in his
first season, but watching him crying after the Derby game, one can't question
his commitment. That guy cares.
Also, the scenes with Bob Tappin made it worth the price (okay, it was free
with Amazon Prime) on their own.
Anyway, I came away feeling even more proud to be a Leeds United supporter,
which I didn't think was possible after all these years.
Cheers!
Sean