From: Leedslist <leedslist-boun...@gn.apc.org> On Behalf Of Kevin Lewis (UK SBS)
Sent: 16 August 2020 19:12
To: Leeds List (leedslist@gn.apc.org) <leedslist@gn.apc.org>
Subject: [LU] Joe Bryan free kick & Lukic blunder (Rambling)

This is a bit passe now, but did the Joe Bryan goal remind anyone of a
particular goal against Leeds by Graham Rix in 1983.

It was an FA Cup replay at Elland Rd. Aidan Butterworth had just put Leeds
ahead against 1st Div Arsenal and it was the dying seconds of Extra time.

Rix then hit a practically identical free-kick, which totally deceived John
Lukic, even down to the way he over-emphasised his intention to cross it to the
far post.
I also remember it taking an age to cross the line on a muddy pitch as Lukic
scrambled across the goal-line.

I can honestly say I don’t think I’ve seen another such perfectly disguised
free kick until Bryan did it.

It has a kind of significance for me, as I’d attended the first draw at
Highbury. So I decided that I had to see the conclusion of the tie, again at
Highbury thanks to Arse winning the toss.

I got to London with my then girlfriend, only to find that ref Clive Thomas had
called the game off very late in the day.  After a bit of a pub crawl round the
Paddington area, I ended up proposing to my now wife, so made the journey home
engaged.

I still blame/thank Clive Thomas for the way everything turned out.  When I
tried to show my now 36 and 34 year old offspring the similarity of the goals
at a family get-together, I could not find the Rix goal anywhere on the
internet, although Butterworth’s is there in various places.

Needless to say, the ‘kids’ were completely underwhelmed by all this, even
though it is at least partly responsible for their very existence!

KOT.

PS Arse eventually won the 2nd replay a couple of days later

UK Shared Business Services Ltd. Registered in England and Wales as a limited
company. Company number 6330639. Registered Office: Polaris House, North Star
Avenue, Swindon, Wiltshire SN2 1FF. This email and any attachments are intended
for the named addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify us immediately and do not disclose, distribute, or retain this email or
any part of it. While we have taken every reasonable precaution to minimise
risk of this e-mail or any attachments containing viruses, the recipient should
carry out its own virus checks before opening the attachments. The Company does
not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may
sustain due to presence of any viruses. Any opinions expressed in this email
(including attachments) are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
the company's opinions. We will not accept responsibility for any commitments
made by our employees outside the scope of our business. The Company reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks for the
purposes of preventing and detecting crime.

Dorigo's Right Buttock...