From: Leedslist <leedslist-boun...@gn.apc.org> on behalf of Richard Walker via
Leedslist <leedslist@gn.apc.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 9, 2021 3:23:20 PM
To: leeds list leedslist@gn.apc.org <leedslist@gn.apc.org>
Subject: [LU] Hammers

Started really brightly and took West Ham by surprise. We looked quick and
first to the ball for the first 15 mins and had the ball in the back of the net
twice, one of which was the closest of off-sides. Then it all went to shit as
Ayling swung his foot at Lingard in the box and gave away a needless free kick.
It was really poor stuff from Ayling and capped off a really disappointing
night for him. Miesler was unlucky with the pen but you never expected any luck
with Lingard taking it. We then seemed to lose all composure and everytime we
got the ball we gave away. Llorente made some good interceptions but everytime
he passed the ball forward it went straight to the opposition. They then won a
corner and with what was a carbon copy of their goal at ER they got the 2nd.
Dallas was the culprit at ER, this time our international defender Llorente was
ball watching and let their man sneak in on the back post for an easy header.
We never recovered and it was surprising that we went in half-time only 2 down.
It was a complete collapse after the lively start.
2nd half we made some necessary changes. Klich who really hasn't delivered over
the last few months was taken off with the ineffective Costa. I think I've seen
enough of Costa as a starting player. He isn't on the same wavelength as his
team maters and every time he gets the ball he looks weak to me and inevitable
he will lose the ball or sky one into the stand.

Harrison wasn't much better when he came on but he did try and be positive and
get forward and with Allioski pushing on we started to look like a team. Dallas
showed Klich what is required to operate in midfield and Raphinha started to
look dangerous.
Llorente then played the pass of the game putting Bamford through with only the
keeper to beat but he put it wide. Rodrigo came on for the ineffective Roberts
(playing out of position)  and we pushed forward and had West Ham on the ropes.
Raph played it in for Bamford and from 6 yards he skied into the stand. A
really poor miss. That's 3 goals in the last 12 matches for Bamford and I'd be
tempted to give Roberts a go up front. We had further chances but you got the
feeling that we were never going to score.
I see people saying West Ham won at a canter but I disagree. I think we were
the brighter side for 60 mins of the game and with some basic finishing we
would have got a draw out of this game. I really don't think they are much
better than us.
Scores:
Miesler - 7. Unlucky with the pen. Didn't have to do a right lot.
Ayling - 4. He's had a great season but this game made you realise that
ultimately if we want to push on he's going to be a squad player at best.
Dallas - 7. First half at left back he tried to get forward but didn't really
figure but 2nd half in Klich's position he made us realise what we are missing.
Llorente - 5. Is he a midfielder playing as central defender  ?I;m not
convinced by his defensive abilities. His passing was off most of the game but
he showed he does have an eye for a pass with the ball to Bamford. I laughed
when someone on WhatsApp said 'I preferred Llorente when he was injured'
Cooper - 7. Definitely our best defender on the night. I do worry when he sees
so much of the ball and we are relying on him for that cross field ball which
he's actually not bad but it asks a lot of the winger when he does find them.
Klich - 3. What has happened to him ? Has he finally found his level ? Is he
fit ? Not sure but he's certainly struggling at the mo. I wouldn't be starting
with him v Chelsea.
Costa - 3. Saw a lot of the ball in the first 15 mins but didn't do a lot with
it. Even his 'cross' for Robert's goal looked like he mishit it. Time is
running out for the lad.
Raphinha - 7. Not his best game but was always positive and always lively. He
also created the best chance of the game by putting it on a plate for Bamford.
Bamford - 4. His general play was ok, he was lively and got around the pitch
but as top scorer you expect him to at least get the 2 chances he had on
target. He didn't and I don't care how well he's done this season that's all in
the past. He's hardly scored this year and I think we need a goalscorer.
Philips - 5. Well it was good to see a midfielder in the holding midfield
position that seems so important to Bielsa's style. I find it astonishing that
given the U23 recruitment drive and the many transfer windows we do not have a
midfielder at the club who can step into this position when Calvin is injured
or suspended ? It's madness. How many fucking wingers have we got ? I thought
Philips provided good balance last night without really stamping his authority
on the game. Another pedestrian performance from our England star for me.
Roberts - 4. I'm not in the Roberts is championship and should never start camp
but I am concerned that Bielsa sees him as a better no 10 than Pablo and feels
he can start ahead of Rodrigo ? He's not a no 10, he's a striker and has never
really had a crack at that position. Very fine margins here. If his goal had
counted last night who knows what the world would look like for him today ? Oh
actually, I do, he would just start as no 10 against Chelsea so probably best
that it was ruled off side.
Subs:
Rodrigo - 5. Looked rusty but still showed enough touches and movement to show
he has a lot to offer
Allioski - 6. Got forward well
Harrison - 5. Another player who seems to be struggling. I'd start with him
over Costa though any day of the week.
Fulham 9 points behind us. Surely we're safe ... aren't we ????

Rest in Peace Guy, and wear your hat!