Dave
Great report, thank you!! I would much prefer to hear about what it was
like to be in that fantastic crowd than hearing how Arse passed the ball
around us.

I think the chickens are well and truly home to roost. A number of us were
saying back in August that our squad was not big enough and did not have
enough quality, and so it has proved. It is clear that MB does not want or
like a big squad. A small squad has a number of advantages (not least
financial), but it also comes with risk. And with our current injuries,
that risk has alas come to bite us.

This run of games was always going to be difficult, and with the Chelsea
game we had a chance of getting something. But in the other games we are
being hammered. MB needs to be good at instilling belief again into players
that have been recently hammered a number of times. Can he do it? I
actually have my doubts, but as you say, we will find out against our
direct opponents soon.

Are there 3 other teams worse than us in this league? I would say yes
(Norwich, Burnley, Newcastle, Watford), BUT what are Newcastle going to
look like from Jan onwards? A hell of a lot better I reckon, and I think
they will pull away. So, we have to do better than Norwich, Burnley and
Watford. Can we do it? Touch and go, and much depends on how and when our
injured players return.

Even if we do go down, we have some level of financial muscle with the
parachute payments, but MB will have gone, and who will we have? Do we
promote an MB disciple, and try to get a dynasty going, or throw it all
away and start with another journeyman manager? My vote is the former. May
not work, but I think it is worth the risk.
Cheers
Alec

--
Alec McQueen