January 13, 1999

Dear Friends of civil rights and labor:

Below, is an announcement of the Birmingham Human Rights Project
regarding a counter-demonstration which we have called against the
KKK on January 16th, 1999.  If you are able to come to Birmingham and
adhere to our call for a PEACEFUL counter-demonstration, then we
welcome you with open arms.  If you cannot come to Birmingham, but
you would like to send a solidarity message in support of our "United
We Stand For Humanity & Against The Klan" rally, you can send either
e-mail to: [EMAIL PROTECTED], or fax (after 5:00 PM CST please) to 205-
323-5962.

BACKGROUND: (and the opinions of the authors only)

We are holding this rally under the most delicate and volatile
circumstances and we ask for your full cooperation if you are going
to come here and join us.  The Klan intends to provoke a
confrontation and we intend that this should not happen.  We intend
to come out of this unscathed with no arrests, no pepper-spraying, no
mace, no injuries.  As a wave of humanity, we will confront the Klan
but we will not be provoked by them.  Our objectives are to come out
of this rally with a strengthened labor and civil rights movement in
this city and we cannot be derailed at this time by Klan provocations
and defense work.

Also, you should know that the City of Birmingham has denied our
permit.  We are the residents of Birmingham - the rank and file
activists of the civil rights movement and the labor movement, yet we
were denied a permit to express our freedom of speech in opposition
to the Klan.  Nevertheless, we will continue to exercise our
democratic rights with our plans for a demonstration in the closest
proximity to the Klan rally.

Finally, you should be aware that many (though not all) of the
veteran civil rights activists of this city; the people whom we hold
in high esteem and respect; the people whose shoulders we stand on;
have asked us not to hold this counter-demonstration.  Instead, they
have called for a unity rally after the KKK rally as indicated below.
 They have received word that this Klan has sent agent provocateurs
and plants within our rally to cause violence and arrests.  They feel
that our rally is playing into the hands of the Klan.

Within the Birmingham Human Rights Project, we have searched our
political souls and conscience and determined that we must be present
as a rally for humanity when the Klan comes.  We want to send a chill
to the Klan and a thrill to our community that we can stand up in the
face of fascism.  We do this with a heavy heart because we do not
enjoy the support of many of our political mentors.  Nevertheless,
this is the stand which we feel compelled to take.

If you can work with us under these difficult circumstances, then
please come join us.  Otherwise, please don't give us any more
headaches or concerns.

Warmest greetings to one and all in the struggle for peace, justice
and self- determination,

Steve Orel, member of the Labor Party, Birmingham, Alabama Frank
Paige, Officer, GMP Local 62, Bessemer, Alabama

OUR OFFICIAL FLIER FOLLOWS:

==============================
BELOW IS THE OFFICIAL FLIER OF THE
BIRMINGHAM HUMAN RIGHTS PROJECT
IF YOU FORWARD OR COPY THIS FLIER, DO NOT ADD OR DELETE ANY WORDS.  THANK YOU.

===============================
UNITED WE STAND FOR HUMANITY
AGAINST THE KLAN

The Indiana-based American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan have chosen to
bring their message of hatred and violence to Birmingham on the same
weekend that our city celebrates the contributions of Martin Luther
King, Jr.  This Klan group opposes the gains won by the movements for
civil and human rights and vehemently objects to the establishment of
King's birthday as a national holiday.  They work closely with other
neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups, and openly call for violence
against African-American, Latino, Jewish, gay and immigrant peoples.
The Klan's presence in our city cannot be ignored by those who oppose
their message of bigotry.  Many organizations and individuals have
come together to issue this call for a PEACEFUL and legal counter-
demonstration, to show that Birmingham continues to reject the Klan,
just as it has in years past.

THE CITY HAS DENIED OUR PERMIT APPLICATION, BUT WE WILL EXERCISE OUR
DEMOCRATIC RIGHTS TO PROTEST.  WE URGE YOU TO JOIN US!

Join us in a PEACEFUL, legal demonstration against the Klan!!!
SATURDAY, JANUARY 16
at 12:30 PM
LINN PARK - 20th STREET NORTH & PARK PLACE
DOWNTOWN BIRMINGHAM

This event is being sponsored by the BIRMINGHAM HUMAN RIGHTS PROJECT.
For more information, please call (205) 323-5966.

=====================

We also encourage everyone to participate in the SCLC meeting which
is taking place at 16th Street Baptist Church (6th Avenue North &
16th Street North) at 3:30 PM - Saturday, Jan. 16th - as well as the
many other peaceful activities (including wearing a yellow ribbon) in
celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, and in
opposition to the Klan.

###END OF BHRP FLIER###

        http://www.alexia.net.au/~www/mhutton/index.html

       The Year 2000 Bug - An Urgent Sustainability Issue
          http://www.peg.apc.org/~psutton/grin-y2k.htm