EARTH MATTERS can be heard on 3CR in Melbourne Sunday 11am, 2XX Canberra
Tuesday 10am, 8CCC Alice Springs Sunday between 8-9pm, 2NCR Lismore Friday
10am, 5UV Adelaide Thursday 2pm, 7LTN Launceston Monday 7:30pm, 2VOX
Wollongong between 9-10am & much more!!

Earth Matters
Programme 79a
Juliet Fox
3CR Community Radio
ComRadSat Programme
Friday 4:03pm 23/7/1999

CUE SHEET
INTRO : "Hello and welcome to ..."
OUTRO : "... the air we breathe."
DURATION : 26'30" (frogs til around 27'30)

THIS IS A REPEAT PROGRAM FROM LAST MARCH
PART 1 The air we breathe - exploring air pollution issues in the city of
Melbourne

Today on Earth Matters we begin the first in a 2-part series exploring air
pollution issues in the city of Melbourne. Air pollution in cities right
around the world is recognised as a very serious health concern - and
vehicles are the main contributors. While some Australian cities are
working on reducing traffic levels, others are undertaking massive road
building exercises. A couple of years ago the well respected journal "New
Scientist" acknowledged that emissions from diesel vehicles may be the most
carcinogenic chemicals ever discovered.

On Earth Matters this week we hear from Bronwen Machin, air pollution
campaigner with Environment Victoria, about just what constitutes "air
pollution". We also speak with Chairman of the Environment Protection
Authority (EPA) in Melbourne as to how pollution is monitored and just what
the EPA is doing about it.

Health concerns from air pollution are many and varied. Fine particulates,
especially from diesel vehicles, are extremely dangerous - exacerbating
both lung and heart disease amongst other things. Today John McPherson,
Vice President of the Public Transport Users Association, and  also Ruth
Clemens from RACOF - Richmond Action Coalition on Freeways - join in the
discussion about the wide ranging problems surrounding air pollution, it's
monitoring and management.

  EARTH MATTERS can be heard on 3CR in Melbourne Sunday 11am, 2XX Canberra
Tuesday 10am, 8CCC Alice Springs Sunday between 8-9pm, 2NCR Lismore Friday
10am, 5UV Adelaide Thursday 2pm, 7LTN Launceston Monday 7:30pm, 2VOX
Wollongong between 9-10am & much more!!

Earth Matters
Programme 79b
Juliet Fox
3CR Community Radio
ComRadSat Programme
Friday 4:03pm 30/7/1999

CUE SHEET
INTRO : "Hello and welcome to ..."
OUTRO : "... see you later!"
DURATION : 27'10" (frogs til around 28'00)

THIS IS A REPEAT PROGRAM FROM LAST MARCH
PART 2 The air we breathe - exploring air pollution issues in the city of
Melbourne

In the second part of our series exploring air pollution issues in the city
of Melbourne, today we take a closer look a Melbourne's massive road
building ventures.

The City Link project involves the construction of some 22 kilometres of
freeway, including 2 tunnels. Of particular focus, is the so-called Burnley
Tunnel, which will emit its exhaust from one solitary tunnel in Richmond.

Ruth Clemens of the Richmond Action Coalition on Freeways - or RACOF! -
joins us today on Earth Matters to explain the particular concerns about
the tunnel and its pollution emission and why Richmond residents feel
frightened and abandoned by the Environment Protection Authority (EPA).

We also hear from Public Transport User's Association Vice President, John
McPherson, and Brian Robinson, Chairman of the EPA, on how the authority is
attempting to fulfill its brief of "restoring" Melbourne's air quality.

Finally today we hear from Bronwen Machin of Environment Victoria on the
many and varied things that individuals can do, and from John about how the
ruling elite have such an obsession with the automobile.