EARTH MATTERS can be heard on 3CR in Melbourne Sunday 11am, 2XX Canberra
Tuesday 10am, 8CCC Alice Springs Sundays between 8-9pm, 2NCR Lismore Friday
10am, 5UV Adelaide Thursday 2pm, 7LTN Launceston Monday 7:30pm, 2VOX
Wollongong between 9-10am & much more!!

Earth Matters
Program 100b

Juliet Fox
3CR Community Radio
ComRadSat Program 19/5/2000
INTRO : "Hello, I'm Juliet Fox =85"
OUTRO : "... see you next week."
DURATION : 25'55" (frogs til c.26'30")

Western Basalt Plains Grassland
Today on Earth Matters we explore an urban development which threatens one
of Australia's most endangered ecosystems. It's a housing development which
- if it gets the go ahead - will potentially destroy a significant remnant
of Western Basalt Plains Grassland.=20

The situation paints a familiar picture of our continuing environmental
impact through unsustainable urbanisation - and begs the question as to
just who's responsible for ensuring the protection of these small but
significant environments. There's just 0.1% of the Western Basalt Plains
Grassland community left, and yet it's survival continues to compromised by
still more destruction.

On the show we hear a range of people about the proposed development site
at Baldwin Avenue (north Sunshine) in Melbourne's western suburbs. Gordon
Duncan, vice president of Friends of the Maribyrnong Valley joins us to
express his concerns about the situation, as does Colin Hocking, Senior
Lecturer in Conservation Biology in the School of Life Sciences and
Technology at Victoria University.=20

We're also joined by mark Wingfield, Manager of Flora and Fauna for the
Port Philip region with the Department of Natural Resources and
Environment, to discuss what the department is doing about the situation.