Today we took part in a wonderful, happy, strong, cooperative Walk for
Reconciliation in Adelaide.  The police estimate of numbers was 55,000 and
I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than that.

A lovely (sunny) day - and the icing on the cake was that an organiser,
Shirley Peisley, was awarded an Order of Australia for her work for
indigenous people in a wide range of areas of activity (very well-earned!).

Many fine and moving speeches and songs, and a good feeling for the future
was engendered.  Some suggestions for improvement in (State) Government
performance were called out during the speech by Dorothy Kotz, State
Minister of Aboriginal Affairs.

It's the biggest gathering of people I've ever seen in Adelaide - surely
after Sydney and Brisbane and now Adelaide - and no doubt many other towns
throughout the country - the government MUST get the message !!!

Irene Gale
Australian Peace Committee (SA Branch)Inc.
11 South Tce, Adelaide SA 5000 Australia
Ph: (+61-8) 82127138  Fax: (+61-8)  83642291
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]