Elections for the NSW Public Service Association are now underway.

This is an important opportunity for members to reform their union. We
encourage members to vote PROGRESSIVE PSA (PPSA) FOR A BETTER DEAL:
   a.. JOB SECURITY - PROTECT PUBLIC SECTOR JOBS & SERVICES
   b.. BETTER & MORE EQUITABLE PAY
   c.. A STRONGER & MORE DEMOCRATIC UNION

We were told that the current pay deal was the best that could be won and
that we should accept the employers offer without any resistance. This left
the Teachers Federation as the only large union to take on the NSW
Government.  Despite being isolated they did win a better deal. The
employers are now seeking significant concessions in return for the pay
deal.  We don't want a rerun of the previous pay deal where the union
leadership struck an agreement with the employer without consulting members.

There is a preference exchange between the official's group (trading as the
'Rank & File') and the right wing 'Members First' group. This makes the
Progressive PSA the only serious left alternative to this centre right
alliance.

The Progressive PSA is not captive to ALP factions nor the NSW ALP
Government (our employer).  We do not seek nor receive money from other
unions or political parties. We rely entirely on the support of union members.

For 'How to Vote' leaflets please visit http://go.to/BetterDeal

JOB SECURITY - PROTECT PUBLIC SECTOR JOBS & SERVICES

Public sector services continue to be cut, contracted out and
privatised.  Those areas under attack should not continue to be left to
defend themselves. United we bargain - divided we beg.

6% of the current pay deal is not funded by Treasury.  Soon there will be
deep cuts to public sector jobs. But it doesn't have to be that way. The
Progressive PSA (PPSA) will ensure the union campaigns for full funding of
the pay rises.  We disagree with wage increases being funded by job cuts.

The Olympics have shown how effective public services can be when properly
resourced. They exposed the myth that 'Private enterprise is better'.  The
PPSA will ensure our union is at the forefront of defending public services
and jobs.

BETTER & MORE EQUITABLE PAY

The PPSA was the only group to actively campaign for an improvement to the
quantity and structure of the current pay deal.

Treasury documents show that our pay this year is less than the consumer
price index and substantially less than the growth in average weekly
earnings. Clearly a better deal WAS possible. The employer is now seeking
trade-offs for these modest increases.- more job cuts, even longer working
hours, 'performance pay', and greater 'flexibility'.  We must resist any
trade-offs of our hard-won working conditions.

The PPSA is committed to ensuring pay equity for both women and men.
Undervaluation of work performed by people in occupations with large
numbers of women, like school assistants and library workers has resulted
in lower pay rates.

The PPSA will work for improved access to training and career development
to equip members to deal with rapid changes in technology, the labour
market and the work place skills it demands.

BETTER SERVICES FOR MEMBERS

The PSA needs to be more responsive to members' needs. A union that
researches issues and provides competent and timely answers to member
inquiries.  A union that helps members by showing them how to defend
themselves.

Union publications must be published on time and be relevant. The PPSA will
review PSA communications in consultation with members to ensure its
content and delivery is useful and timely.

UNION DEMOCRACY - NO SECRET DEALS

Workplace organisation needs to be re-vitalised with active committees in
as many workplaces as possible.

The PPSA wants a union constitution that enables effective participation by
members, based on proper electorates with delegates accountable to members,
not powerless talk shops.  The PPSA will promote a review of the
constitution based on wide consultation among members.

We oppose any agreements with employers without endorsement by the members
concerned. Lets make sure our union is clean and accountable.

The salary range of our officials should be published annually in our
union's journal Red Tape and officials should declare their remuneration
from positions on boards and committees.

PROGRESSIVE PSA FOR A BETTER DEAL

PPSA candidates are not career politicians nor union bureaucrats. We are
delegates and active PSA members with extensive experience in industrial
negotiation and workplace organisation. Our candidates are drawn from
agencies and vocations across the state. The PPSA always runs a gender
balanced ticket.

The PPSA does not seek or receive money from any political party. We are
not captive to ALP factions nor do we sacrifice members' interests to the
political ambitions of union officials.

  How to contact us:

Progressive PSA P.O. Box K519, Haymarket NSW 1240, fax: 02 85 69 43 71

email us at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Join our free mail list. Send a blank message
to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Website: http://go.to/BetterDeal
This is not a PSA publication. The Progressive PSA does not use the
resources of the union for electioneering. Authorised by Paul Petersen
9248 3524