The Sydney Morning Herald
http://www.smh.com.au/news/0104/27/text/features7.html
Yarralumla boys' club is safe for another term

Date: 27/04/2001

So you couldn't find even one woman suitable to be governor-general, eh, Mr
Howard? Well, Anne Summers has a few suggestions.

Once upon a time in Australia, women were not allowed to read the news on
radio or TV because their voices were considered too high to be
authoritative. Nor were women allowed to pilot planes because of the
bizarre supposition that once a month they might veer off course.

I thought we Australians had long ago discarded such absurd prejudices but
it seems, in the discussions surrounding the appointment of our latest
governor-general, that some linger.

The Prime Minister would have liked to have appointed a woman, we are told
via what appeared to be an orchestrated leak from his office. This was no
doubt supposed to earn him kudos from the country's women. Trouble is, he
could not find one. In a nation of almost 20 million people, slightly more
than half of whom are women, not one of sufficient "gravitas" could
apparently be found. I don't believe he could have looked very hard.

It took me less than an hour to come up with the following names, 45 women
with stacks of gravitas. I am not trying to anoint any one of these
individuals. Indeed, there are several whom I would hate to see in the job,
but my opinions are irrelevant. I simply wanted to address the slur that we
lack qualified women. There are many.

In case they were deemed too close to the coalface, I deliberately excluded
current or recent politicians, bureaucrats and the many competent women on
corporate boards. This ruled out the likes of Jocelyn Newman and Joan
Kirner, as well as company directors such as Helen Lynch, Helen Nugent,
Margaret Jackson, Eve Mahlab and Jillian Broadbent.

I also left off any woman who is a close friend of mine, thus excluding
several clearly competent contenders but I did not want to appear to be
promoting my mates. Even so, I was able to come up with the following names:

Thea Astley, AO, author; Sallyanne Atkinson, AO, former Lord Mayor of
Brisbane; Dr Marie Bashir, AO, Governor of NSW; Jean Battersby, AO, arts
consultant and former CEO Australia Council; Dame Beryl Beaurepaire, AC,
community worker; Isobel Ida Bennett, AO, eminent marine biologist; Sister
Veronica Brady, educator and author; General Eva Burrows, AC, former world
leader of the Salvation Army; Joan Carden, AO, opera singer; Professor
Bettina Cass, AO, Dean of Arts, University of Sydney; Hon Joan Child, AO,
former Speaker of the House of Representatives; Elizabeth (Betty) Churcher,
AO, former head of the National Gallery of Australia; Professor Adrienne
Clarke, AO, Lieutenant-Governor, Victoria, scientist and former head,
CSIRO; Stella Cornelius, AO, mediator and conflict resolution analyst;
Professor Suzanne Cory, AC, director Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of
Medical Research; Ruth Cracknell, AM, actor and author; Justice Elizabeth
Evatt, AC, former chief judge of the Family Court and UN Human Rights
Committee member; Kaarene Fitzgerald, AC, SIDS campaigner and medical
researcher; Leneen Forde, AC, former governor of Queensland; Dame Phyllis
Frost, AC, philanthropist and community activist; Professor Fay Gale, AO,
former vice-chancellor University of WA; Justice Mary Gaudron, High Court
judge; Professor Jacqueline Goodnow, AC, behavioural scientist; Dame
Margaret Guilfoyle former senator and Cabinet minister in the Fraser
government; Dr Elinor Hamlin, AC, eminent gynaecologist working in
Ethiopia; Hazel Hawke, author and community activist; Janet Holmes a Court,
AO, businesswoman; Sister Deirdre Jordan, AC, chancellor Flinders
University; Professor Priscilla Kincaid-Smith, AC, former professor of
Medicine, University of Melbourne; Dame Leonie Kramer, AC, Chancellor
University of Sydney; Justice Jane Matthews, Federal Court judge; Emeritus
Professor Nancy Millis, AC, Chancellor La Trobe University; Mirka Mora,
artist; Dame Elisabeth Murdoch, AC, philanthropist; Professor Marcia Neave,
AO, professor of law, Monash University; Justice Deirdre O'Connor,
president, Administrative Appeals Tribunal; Lowitja O'Donohue, AC,
Aboriginal activist; Margaret Olley, AO, artist; Justice Mahla Pearlman,
AM, Chief Judge, Land and Environment Court; Sister Mary Reardon, AO,
Administrator, St Margaret's Hospice, Darlinghurst; Professor Cheryl
Saunders, AO, professor of law, University of Melbourne; Jean Skuse, AO,
former national co-ordinator, World Council of Churches Assembly; Professor
Fiona Stanley, AC, professor of pediatrics, University of WA; Dame Joan
Sutherland, AC, opera singer; Nancy-Bird Walton, AO, aviator.

Not a governor-general among them? Perhaps a president.

Anne Summers was head of the Office of the Status of Women (1983-1986) and
adviser on women's issues to Prime Minister Paul Keating (1992-93).

This material is subject to copyright and any unauthorised use, copying or
mirroring is prohibited.

This posting is provided to the individual members of this  group without
permission from the copyright owner for purposes  of criticism, comment,
scholarship and research under the "fair use" provisions of the Federal
copyright laws and it may not be distributed further without permission of
the copyright owner, except for "fair use."