Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:17:36 +1000

Independent Media Center
http://twincities.indymedia.org:8081

Today will have MAJOR implications for the LEFT Tuesday 11 Sep
2001
author: Cascadian

5 Reasons why we must organize now and organize well. I believe that
today's events will have profound effects on our movement. Basically, THE
SHIT IS GOING TO HIT THE FAN.

1. The reaction from the Bush and NATO military machine will be swift,
reckless, brutal, and will only escalate matters, kill civilians, and
promote nationalist fervor in the US. Already the media and government are
talking about a "WORLD WAR against TERRORISM" to respond to the "2nd Pearl
Harbor".

2. Arabs and Muslims the world over will be the targets of persecution, and
most likely violent racism both from government and from individuals. The
media and the government have decided these events were the fault of Arabs
and Muslims and that many, if not most Arabs and Muslims, support the
attacks. This country has created internment camps before and it can damn
well do it again.

3. This will DRAMATICALLY increase the FBI's counter intelligence programs
around the country!

4. The reactionary right is already light years ahead of us because they
will put aside all debates to unite under the banners of patriotism,
militarism, and "the american way". No 1st world nation in the World (with
the possibly exception of italy) is closer to Fascism than the US and no
country in the world has the power to eliminate basic human rights on A
GLOBAL LEVEL for the sake of its "national security". We can expect this
shift to the right to impact our movement as well: rhetoric will become
more moderate to avoid alienating the public. How many less people will be
going to DC to protest this month because of these events???? How many less
people will be willing to listen to the first word of our issues?

5. Because the attacks were on THE SYMBOLS of american capitalism, american
hegemony, american government, and american imperialism, reactionary and
mainstream elements in this country will not hesitate to brand any and all
anti-capitalist, anti-government, anti-military activists as possible
terrorists or sympathetic to "the enemy". This is real bad news.

Some ideas for what to do:

1. Organize a meeting for your city or town's BROAD LEFT (think Nation
readers to Black Bloc Anarchists???) and try to keep everybody to talk
strategy without ripping each other's throats out.

2. Put up flyers exposing the media and government propaganda TODAY and
post em to Indymedia so others can use them.

3. Work with Arab American support groups in your area. With the immediate
corporate media/ state propaganda to place blame on "Islamic terrorists"
and Middle Eastern groups, it is irrelevant that this responsibility has
neither been claimed nor proven.

4. Begin organizing anti-war demonstrations NOW.