PRESS RELEASE  18 October 2001

NUCLEAR DISARMAMENT PARTY SETS OFF FROM QUEANBEYAN TO ALLOCATE PREFERENCES

The two hopeful senators, Dr Michael Denborough a research physician at
Canberra's John Curtin School of Medical Research and Yvonne Francis, a
Queanbeyanite who stood for Mayor in 1999 and led a successful community
push for recreation space in west Queanbeyan will be setting off tomorrow at
10 am for Sydney to register their preferences for the federal election on
November 10.

Yvonne says she is proud to be setting off from Queanbeyan, which has not
only recently achieved its nuclear-free status, but is a city with a strong
multicultural heritage. Yvonne says, I hate to think of the bigotry that is
being used shamelessly to fire up a third world war and the Australian
election. Here we are sending aid to refugees but at the same time B52
bombers are blackening their skies and ripping apart their bodies and homes.
It makes no sense.  But I am astounded by the number of people who think it'
s wrong and want to help us take a stand.

I can't accept a war of violence and revenge against whole communities of
people who did not plot to hijack any suicide aircraft to attack the World
Trade Centre.  Some 25 years ago my young gay brother sought refuge in New
York and he took me to see the twin towers.  But he was not blind to the
poverty and the bag ladies in the street.  Aids has taken my brother and
desperados have attacked the towers and killed people.  We are deeply hurt
for them, but we do not cry for war against Afghanistan's people.

Australia shares a common history with America - brutal occupation, waves of
migration and similar struggles for civics and justice.  But Bush has no
right to say he fights for democracy while he bombs innocent people.  In the
cold war it was reds under our beds, this time it is refugees and Muslims.
We are in danger all right - not of hijackers but of a bitter hatred rotting
out our hearts.

Howard was the first to join the bullies and Beazley couldn't run fast
enough behind him. If people get together they create power to make change.
It is time the people of Australia had the choice of independent politicians
with the guts to say NO RACIST WAR.

We are heading off to make important choices for the people of New South
Wales on election day 10 November. We will be giving our preferences to
those parties with the least racism and war-mongering policies.

MORE INFORMATION
YVONNE FRANCIS
16/104 Henderson Road Queanbeyan
0418401480  6297 6274 -available for picture with car showing map NO STAR
WARS TRAIL at 10 am Thursday