Dear Comrades, Friends, Brothers & Sisters

Earlier, I circulated a message about the passing of Elizabeth Johnston,
former secretary of the Federated Clerks Union (the first union female
union secretary in SA)

A commemoration ceremony for Elizabeth will be held on Friday 27
September 2002:

TIME:   4pm
DAY:    FRIDAY
DATE:   27 SEPTEMBER 2002
VENUE:  TANDANYA ABORIGINAL CULTURAL CENTRE
        253 GRENFELL ST
        ADELAIDE

Andy

Andrew (Andy) Alcock
Occupational Health & Safety Industrial Officer
PSA/CPSU

Phone:          83719480        (home)
                0417 838 952    (mobile)
                61 8 82053200   (work)
Fax:            61 8 82236509
Email:          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

DEATH OF FIRST FEMALE UNION GEN SEC IN SA

Dear all

It is with great sadness that I inform you that Elizabeth Johnston died
last night 16/9/2002) in the Mary Potter Hospice after a battle with
lung cancer.

Elizabeth who was 83, was a great human being who will be remembered in
the union, women's and social justice movements for many things:

* a qualified lawyer who worked for Crown law for many years
* war time general secretary of the Federated Clerks' Union
* organiser of the old Communist Party of Australia (independent) and an
active member of the New Left Party
* an icon of the women's movement
* a wise and generous counsellor to many (especially activists and those
who could not afford lawyers' fees) about legal matters
* long time wife, soul mate and comrade to Elliott Johnston (lawyer, QC,
former judge, Commissioner of Black Deaths in Custody) also an icon of
the progressive movement in SA

There will be no funeral as she has left her body to medical science,
however, there will be a commemoration of her life shortly. I will keep
you posted.

..