OVERLAND PUBLIC LECTURE SERIES 2003
Wednesday 25 June 2003, 6.30 pm
MARGARET SIMONS on
MYTH, EVIDENCE & CULTURE WARS
Overland 171 lecture & launch, Trades Hall, Melbourne
$10 / $6 entry includes copy of Overland 171

Simons talks about Australia's 'culture warriors' and their recent
claims against ideological bias and calls for scholarly 'evidence'.
Taking on media heavyweights including Piers Ackerman, Ron Brunton and
Christopher Pearson, she talks about the media fallout from her
explosive book, The Meeting of the Waters, which documents what has come
to be known as the 'Hindmarsh Island Bridge Affair'.

This series of events, says Simons, highlighted the still-raging
'culture wars' in Australia."I came to think of it as one of those big,
even archetypal stories that tell us something about who we are, the way
we connect to land, and how we exist in this continent." Asked to name
the highest achievements of mainstream Western culture, she says, "most
of us would probably think of the rule of law, judicial process,
parliamentary democracy, the ideal of independent scholarship and
freedom of speech, including freedom of the media". In the Hindmarsh
Island Bridge Affair, "all these things miscarried and were perverted,
if not corrupted. As a result, lives, careers and families were wrecked,
and a great injustice was done. The victors wrote the history."

Ron Brunton, Piers Ackerman and Christopher Pearson, says Simons, were
key players in the Hindmarsh Island Bridge Affair. Simons explains how
their actions, along with evidence buried and withheld from the Royal
Commission, led to a dramatic miscarriage of justice.

more information:
http://www.overlandexpress.org/events.htm