From:
John Hallam
Nuclear Weapons Campaigner Friends of the Earth Australia,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
61-209567-7533 61-2-9567-6222, fax 61-2-9567-7166
1 Henry Street Turella NSW Aust 2205

IMMEDIATE USE MON 16 FEB 2004
FRIENDS OF THE EARTH AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIAN PEACE COMMITTEE
CAMPAIGN FOR INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION AND DISARMAMENT (CICD)

PEACE GROUPS URGE GOVT TO BACK EL BARADEI CALL ON NUCLEAR  PROLIFERATION

Friends of the Earth, Australian Peace Committee, and CICD today
called on the Australian government  to back the call by Mohamed El
Baradei , former head of the IAEA, to start with the elimination of
the nuclear arsenals of the established nuclear weapons powers when
pushing for action to end nuclear proliferation at the upcoming NPT
Prepcom in New York in April.

According to the groups, Mr El Baradei is absolutely correct when he
says that:
""We must abandon the unworkable notion that it is morally
reprehensible for some countries to pursue weapons of mass
destruction yet morally acceptable for others to rely on them for
security - and indeed to continue to refine their capacities and
postulate plans for their use,"

According to FOE, CICD, and APC:
"Recent events, not least the revelations that Pakistan for years if
not decades has been at the centre of global proliferation activities
along with the DPRK, show the absolute urgency of preventing the
further spread of nuclear weapons. Yet calls by the  Bush
administration to stop that spread, if they are accompanied by the
further development of its own nuclear arsenal and by dependence on
the principle of nuclear deterrence for the foreseeable future, will
fall on deaf ears.  There is no way the Indians or Pakistanis or the
DPRK will let go of theirs, as long as the clear obligations of the
established nuclear weapons powers to achieve the total and
unequivocal elimination of their nuclear arsenals are ignored in
spite of having been reaffirmed as recently as May 2000."

"The Nuclear Nonproliferation treaty is in deep trouble. We urge the
Australian government at the upcoming NPT Prepcom,  to press for real
progress to be made first of all toward the elimination of the
established nuclear arsenals and the implementation of the 13 steps
agreed on at the last NPT Review Conference in May 2000."

Contact:
John Hallam (FOE-A) 02-9567-7533 9567-7644, h9810-2598
Irene Gale AM (APC) 08-8364-2291
Pauline Mitchell (CICD) 03-9663-3677, 03-9555-3076

February 12, 2004
OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR

Saving Ourselves From Self-Destruction
By MOHAMED ELBARADEI

VIENNA
Nuclear proliferation is on the rise. Equipment, material and training
were once largely inaccessible. Today, however, there is a sophisticated
worldwide network that can deliver systems for producing material usable
in weapons. The demand clearly exists: countries remain interested in
the illicit acquisition of weapons of mass destruction.

If we sit idly by, this trend will continue. Countries that perceive
themselves to be vulnerable can be expected to try to redress that
vulnerability - and in some cases they will pursue clandestine weapons
programs. The supply network will grow, making it easier to acquire
nuclear weapon expertise and materials. Eventually, inevitably,
terrorists will gain access to such materials and technology, if not
actual weapons.

If the world does not change course, we risk self-destruction.

Common sense and recent experience make clear that the Nuclear
Nonproliferation Treaty, which has served us well since 1970, must be
tailored to fit 21st-century realities. Without threatening national
sovereignty, we can toughen the nonproliferation regime.

The first step is to tighten controls over the export of nuclear
material, a priority President Bush identified yesterday in his speech
on nuclear nonproliferation. The current system relies on a gentlemen's
agreement that is not only nonbinding, but also limited in its
membership: it does not include many countries with growing industrial
capacity. And even some members fail to control the exports of companies
unaffiliated with government enterprise.

We must universalize the export control system, remove these loopholes,
and enact binding, treaty-based controls - while preserving the rights
of all states to peaceful nuclear technology. We should also criminalize
the acts of people who seek to assist others in proliferation.

In parallel, inspectors must be empowered. Much effort was recently
expended - and rightly so - in persuading Iran and Libya to give the
International Atomic Energy Agency much broader rights of inspection.
But the agency should have the right to conduct such inspections in all
countries. Verification of nonproliferation treaty obligations requires
more stringent measures, but to date, fewer than 20 percent of the 191
United Nations members have approved a protocol allowing broader
inspection rights. Again, as President Bush suggested yesterday, it
should be in force for all countries.

In addition, no country should be allowed to withdraw from the treaty.
The treaty now allows any member to do so with three months' notice. Any
nation invoking this escape clause is almost certainly a threat to
international peace and security.

This provision of the treaty should be curtailed. At a minimum,
withdrawal should prompt an automatic review by the United Nations
Security Council.

The international community must do a better job of controlling the
risks of nuclear proliferation. Sensitive parts of the nuclear fuel
cycle - the production of new fuel, the processing of weapon-usable
material, the disposal of spent fuel and radioactive waste - would be
less vulnerable to proliferation if brought under multinational control.
Appropriate checks and balances could be used to preserve commercial
competitiveness and assure a supply of nuclear material to legitimate
would-be users.

Toward this end, negotiations on the Fissile Material Cutoff Treaty must
be revived. The treaty, which would put an end to the production of
fissionable material for weapons, has been stalled in the Conference on
Disarmament in Geneva for nearly eight years. For the material that
already exists, including in some countries of the former Soviet Union,
security measures must be strengthened.

Of course, a fundamental part of the nonproliferation bargain is the
commitment of the five nuclear states recognized under the
nonproliferation treaty - Britain, China, France, Russia and the United
States - to move toward disarmament. Recent agreements between Russia
and the United States are commendable, but they should be verifiable and
irreversible. A clear road map for nuclear disarmament should be
established - starting with a major reduction in the 30,000 nuclear
warheads still in existence, and bringing into force the long-awaited
Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.

If the global community is serious about bringing nuclear proliferation
to a halt, these measures and others should be considered at the
nonproliferation treaty review conference next year.

We must also begin to address the root causes of insecurity. In areas of
longstanding conflict like the Middle East, South Asia and the Korean
Peninsula, the pursuit of weapons of mass destruction - while never
justified - can be expected as long as we fail to introduce alternatives
that redress the security deficit. We must abandon the unworkable notion
that it is morally reprehensible for some countries to pursue weapons of
mass destruction yet morally acceptable for others to rely on them for
security - and indeed to continue to refine their capacities and
postulate plans for their use.

Similarly, we must abandon the traditional approach of defining security
in terms of boundaries - city walls, border patrols, racial and
religious groupings. The global community has become irreversibly
interdependent, with the constant movement of people, ideas, goods and
resources. In such a world, we must combat terrorism with an infectious
security culture that crosses borders - an inclusive approach to
security based on solidarity and the value of human life. In such a
world, weapons of mass destruction have no place.

Mohamed ElBaradei is director general of the International Atomic Energy
Agency.

--

Visit the proposed Leftlink web site at http://www.leftlink.net/