The router movement side to side is greatest when plunging. You can
get the carriage to move on the side opposite of the split nut, but
very little. If I was to create a lock on that side, that would
eliminate that smaller problem. The biggest issue is trying to plunge
the router without it wiggling on the way down. It moves side to side
about 1/16 of an inch. Once the lock is engaged, it can move only
slightly.

My comment about the split nut was in response to comments others have
made in past postings about wearing out the split nut. I don’t really
have a lot of friction issues like I have seen Curt comment on with
his mill. I have recently added a x-drive motor and am concerned about
wearing out my split nut which is a part you can’t get down at the
hardware store.

The smaller routers are not designed for the larger cutters. One
indication is the lack of ability to change the speed on the router. I
currently don’t turn or make large items, but have future ambitions of
larger stuff as my abilities improve and dream up other things to
make. Unless other 3.5” diameter routers are built more robust than
the 1.75hp PC that I have, I have reservations about downgrading to a
smaller router.
Dexter