If your machine has one, it will have sticker attached to the headstock
like the one you see in the attached photo from Tim's history page. It also
has an outline of the different gear diameters that will tell you what
letter that gear is so that you can look on the chart to get the pitch you
want. The sticker/label on my 1000xl looks a bit different than the one in
the picture where it is just black text on a clear background.