Way back in the 90s I started turning wood pens and pencils. My 2 favorite, and best sellers, were Grape vine stump and a log I found on the side of the road Ii called "Road Kill" Turns out it was catalpa. The grape vine had real tight growth rings and was pretty buggy so when I got it close to finished I would fill the bug holes and trails with a different material then finish the project. In most cases, as with life, with a good enough story, people will buy anything. So my pitch was, "I wrote it with the grape vine" The Catalpa was pretty rotten in places and spaulted in others. I stabilized the wood with superglue and the finished project was always pretty weird but with a name like road kill you just have to have one.

So Curtis, you are correct. You don't need expensive wood to look like a million bucks. All you have to do is chuck something in and see what you can find in the middle. At the very least you will find the beloved pile of sawdust hugging your feet and thanking you for their release.

Mike OK