Joe,
I, too, attempted to find a source for the Tap - figuring I'd be helping folks in The Group that wanted/needed one.
I contacted a significant distributor - and here is the reply I received after their two to three day attempts to source a tap for me:
(Note - there was more info in their reply - but it had a "non-disclosure" warning at the bottom.  Don't feel its worth seeking their "permission" to share it - because it is of no value since the "bottom line" is:  They can't source the tap.)

It appears that your method is the way to go.  Perhaps you (or Tim if he has a tap) can calculate how much it will cost you to make a number of the blocks with your tap and let The Group know what we'd be looking at cost wise (with your profit and S&H included in the price).  Based upon that, you could take orders - if that's a viable task for you to entertain.

Have a Wonderful Week - and thank you for sharing you thoughts and efforts with The Group.

Mac

Sorry,  but Your Quote Request below will be a No Quote for Xxxxxxx (the corp's name was here).

I have Checked with Our Sources and they say that a 5/8-4 is too coarse of a thread

Thank You for the Opportunity to Quote.

NONSTOCK REQUEST

ITEM #/EDP #/ MODEL # N/A

BRAND NAME / OR IF BRAND SPECIFIC:N/A

DESCRIPTION OF ITEM:  5/8 DIAM – 4 PITCH,  ACME THREAD ROD  TAP

LENGTH 2 INCHES

USING ON NYLON AND DELRIN

QUANITY NEEDED: 2 TO 4 - POSSIBLY MORE