From: 'joe biunno' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
Sent: Aug 10, 2017 5:40 PM
To: Legacy Ornamental Mills
Cc: curtgeo...@wowway.com
Subject: Re: making a tap for the 5/8-4 acme thread

ok, time to take the gloves off!...LOL!...I applaud all of these suggestions of how to make a split nut...epoxies(a bit too hard and brittle, in my opinion)...melting plastic and forming it around the acme thread?(seems a bit awkward and time consuming to get to the desired mass, then some time to shape it while also keeping the thread parallel and square)...these are all well and good if you are stuck on the island with Gilligan, the skipper, the professor and ginger!...LOL!...there is a reason the split nuts were made with a tap...it is the easiest and fastest way to do it...as mentioned, the tap took 1 1/2 hours to make...but that was a four flute tap...knock it down to three flutes and it is perhaps an hour...and I have seen situations where a one flute tap will work, especially when doing a slippery plastic like UHMW...and the plastic stock could be had for $9.00, which would be enough to make 9 split nuts...and it was purchased sized so that there was no work other than drilling the start hole, running the tap through, than cutting in the center of the newly formed tap...rounding off the two edges took all of 30 seconds...to make one split nut would take about  10 minutes...all these other methods, which I do applaud, do not seem practical...now, the only issue or difficulty anyone might have in making a tap, is getting the 4" to 6" length of the acme rod needed to make the tap...barring that, this turned out to be a no brainer to use a tap to make as many split nuts as I did...just can't see the logic to do it any other way...fire away at this post guys!...joe b.