hey tom!
              I can't say I remember steve, but I was a member of the
ornamental turners society some 30 years ago...attended several, yearly
symposiums... then, it seems the group was absorbed into the AAW, then
seemed to fade away...good stuff back then, but a bit more simplistic then
what is available in today's world, I might think...I do enjoy "playing"
with my legacy but, realistically, a good cnc machine with the right
program, can duplicate just about any thing you could imagine on a
legacy(with or without any custom mods) without the need for the gears,
lead screws, no back lash, etc.,etc...steve white's work and mods are very
impressive, I have to say...what it boils down to, in my opinion, is this:
are you doing ornamental work for business or pleasure?... for pleasure,
you can "play" with doing your own mods, somewhat in a fashion like steve
does, but perhaps a bit simpler, LOL!...a lot of us have the imagination
and design skills to go to certain levels with our legacy machines, but not
the equipment or metal turning/milling skills needed to go to the level
that steve does...I for one would certainly pay an admission just to see
his workshop and equipment, and to have a lengthy conversation on the state
of ornamental turning in today's world with him...it's all good!...thanks
for the reply!...joe