Do you have the design kit as well , I would buy my bits based on what
i draw at least at first.


On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 6:29 PM, 'Curt George' via Legacy Ornamental
Mills <legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> I think that Hone, should do very nicely for you Arkady.
>
> With diamond hones, I normally use medium or coarse.
> When honing my router bits, 30-50 passes per side is what I normally do. To
> keep the bits sharp
> dose not take a lot of work. Now when I buy used router bits, that can be a
> loaded question.
>
> I buy router bits where ever I can find them. (second hand bit can be found
> for penny s vs buying new.)
>
> For an example I just found 6 Amana 1/2" router bits for $6 each at a pawn
> shop last week.
> And I can find HHS 1/4" x 1/2" router bit for $1.00 per pound. at a used
> industrial tool store, End mills can be bought for $14.00- $20.00 (new.)
>
> A Whiteside bit. (Woodcraft stores) and Rockler bit, to name just two,
> Mostly start at $30.+ depending on the size and the profile of the bit. And
> sadly, it never seems that they have the profile that I need.
> This is why, I shop Garage sale and flee markets, more and more.
> I don't want to sound cheap, but I can be considered, frugal When the need
> is not absolute.
> IF I need a bit for a job, then I will buy it, but if I can find a good
> deal, anywhere? ... I will buy that too.  ;-)
>
> Have a good night.
> C.A.G.
>
>
>
>
> On Monday, February 19, 2018 3:03 PM, Arkady Paka <arkadyp...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>
> Hello Curtis
> What you say about
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004WFTW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=IRINIM1TKWQPE&colid=W6SB3AN8FKJ0&psc=1
>
> What grit you use and how light or hard you treat the bit?
>
> Arkady
>
> 2018-02-19 17:57 GMT+02:00 'Curt George' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
> <legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>:
>
> Hello Arkady
> I use a diamond honing stone.  I own a few different ones, Rockler's work
> well but I like ones a little longer,  so I have bought a few over the
> years.
> http://www.rockler.com/ diamond-hone-sharpening-set?
> utm_source=bing&utm_medium= cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)% 20Shopping%20-%20Top%
> 20Sellers&msclkid= 2b79e0cb192c190b8c30ba41f4aa7b
> 6a&utm_term=1100009943999&utm_ content=Top%20Sellers
> The MSC. works very well.but it is a little bit on the large side of things.
> https://www.mscdirect.com/ browse/tnpla/31918709?cid=ppc-
> bing-New%20-%20Abrasives%20-% 20PLA_J14x9u7r__be_ 73323731587507_c_&mkwid=
> J14x9u7r|dc&pcrid= 73323731587507&product_id= 31918709
> There are lots of different company's who make them.
> https://www.lowes.com/pd/Chef- sChoice-Manual-Knife- Sharpener/3662612  I
> very much like this set.
>
> The key thing is, You want to hone the flats on the router bit, not the
> profile its self. depending on the bit some
> don't give you a lot of room for honing. This is another big bonus for
> Magnate, there bit are all easy and open for this.
>
> I hope this helps?
> If not we can go into more detail latter.
> Have a good day.
>
> C.A.G.
>
>
>
>
> On Monday, February 19, 2018 2:10 AM, Arkady Paka <arkadyp...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>
> Hello Curtis
> What tool you use for honing router bits?
>
> Arkady
>
> 2018-02-19 5:54 GMT+02:00 'Curt George' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
> <legacy-ornamental-mills@ googlegroups.com>:
>
> Hello Patrick
>
> Magnate  https://www.magnate. net/SearchResults.asp?Cat=24  For the quality
> VS/$$ these bit are well worth the price.
>
> the flat bottom planning bit 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" bits are the work horse of the
> machine.
> I like the barley twist and roping bits as well.
>
> Magnate has a legacy start up package https://www.magnate.
> net/SearchResults.asp?Cat=26   again for the price you cant beat it.
>
> I have one general rule of thumb, I hone every bit after every use. my bits
> all look new, and cut well. For me it dose not matter who made the bits, Yes
> some are better quality
> then others. but a sharp bit will  always cut better then one that is dull
> or covered with pitch...
> I also rec emend buying adaptors, I own 1/4" 3/8" as well as 1/8" adaptors
> for my 1/2" router motor. that way when I find a good bit I can use it.
>
> One last note.   End Mills (carbide and HHS) are also a very good buy for $
> (two or three flute are the best for wood. BUT I always tell them Its for
> cutting Alum.)  Avoids any hassle...
>
> Have a good night.
>
> C.A.G.
>
>
> On Sunday, February 18, 2018 10:00 PM, Patrick Salter
> <patsalte...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> As some of you may know, I just got a new legacy 1000 still in the box
> (assembly begins later this week) and the burning question in my mind is
> what bits should I be looking to get started. I have a bottom bit a couple
> of classic plunge bits.
> Would a barley twist bit or a rope bit be better to practice with? Size?
> I’m assuming that I’ll start getting bits from magnate but open to
> suggestions.
> I’m not sure what I will be making (so many options) but will try a lot of
> things to start.
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Legacy Ornamental Mills" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to legacy-ornamental-mills+unsubs cr...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to legacy-ornamental-mills@
> googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/
> group/legacy-ornamental-mills.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/ optout.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Legacy Ornamental Mills" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to legacy-ornamental-mills+ unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to legacy-ornamental-mills@
> googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/
> group/legacy-ornamental-mills.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/ optout.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Legacy Ornamental Mills" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to legacy-ornamental-mills+ unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to legacy-ornamental-mills@
> googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/
> group/legacy-ornamental-mills.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/ optout.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Legacy Ornamental Mills" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to legacy-ornamental-mills+ unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to legacy-ornamental-mills@
> googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/
> group/legacy-ornamental-mills.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/ optout.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Legacy Ornamental Mills" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to legacy-ornamental-mills+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to
> legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/legacy-ornamental-mills.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Legacy Ornamental Mills" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to legacy-ornamental-mills+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to
> legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/legacy-ornamental-mills.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Legacy Ornamental Mills" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to legacy-ornamental-mills+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/legacy-ornamental-mills.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to