Joe,
Interesting - Thanks for sharing.  In order to somewhat keep things in balance when using only one cutter in the shaper head, have you thought about putting shorter "blank" cutters in the other cutter slots (assuming it has slots for 2-3 cutters).  These blanks would be short enough so that they do not make contact with the work piece.
Mac

-----Original Message-----
From: 'joe biunno' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
Sent: Mar 7, 2018 11:27 AM
To: Legacy Ornamental Mills
Subject: Re: milling work, not on a legacy

ok, here are some photos that will further show/explain what this type of milling is about... the first photo shows two samples of a particular drapery pole we make, along with the shaper knife used to make that cut...this design is difficult in that it is a small reed between two larger reeds...the center line of the cutting action is centered on the smaller reed, or the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position, depending on your perspective...but basically a side cutting action... we always seem to have to do a bit of sanding when making this particular cut... and doing the smaller one is very challenging, as it is only 1 1/2" in diameter... the other sample in the photo is 3" in diameter...the other three photos are a small selection of knife profiles we have accumulated over the years... some coming from old planer and jointer knives obtained at auctions... some from the knife sets sears used to sell...those I see at flea markets quite often...three knives per set, each set having it's own, different profile... one head(the larger) was to be used in a table saw and the other on a shaper... we once set the larger diameter head up into a table saw and when spinning, sounded like a jet taking off!...LOL!... that set up was quickly abandoned... talk about being dangerous!, that made me nervous!... a lot of people will have the opinion that this method of doing light, milling cuts is dangerous, but one thing to point out is safety in our shop is of the highest priority... I will certainly put safety above quality when we are working on a job, even if it means a piece goes out not up to being perfect... there is no job important enough to risk an injury... a lots of the knives from the sears sets we grind to whatever profile we might need to suit the job at hand...we certainly have enough blanks!...LOL!... any questions, please just ask... joe