hi Mac!... in this type of setup, the rule "less is better" strongly
applies... what happens here, in the spindle, is there is a centered bolt
coming down from the top of the spindle... this bolt is tightened against
the top of the cutting knife... then a lock nut on the bolt is tightened so
the bolt will not loosen... but this is a contradiction,
as the pressure of the bolt is a downward pressure onto the top of the
knife, while the lock nut is pulling the bolt away from the top of the
knife... there is a very careful balance here of just how tight to make the
bolt(without damaging the knife) and how tight to make the lock nut... in
your suggestion, you mention "other cutter slots", well, there are no other
slots...there is just the one slot, which is about 4" tall, in the center
of the spindle...now if you meant putting a cutter blank on top of the your
cutting knife, then locking those two knives down as described above, then
yes, you could do that...but then there is a greater risk of some slippage
between the two knives and thus, maybe!, the knives coming loose and being
thrown out of the spindle, which is the danger part here, obviously... and
why this type of set up was discontinued many years ago... so, that is
almost never done... but the mantra here is simple..." DON'T GET
GREEDY!"... only use a single knife that will project a small amount... if
you adhere to this, then there will not be a balance problem, and the
danger factor is reduced greatly... remember, the spindle is 1" in
diameter, so it has some "umph" to it... and when a bit more projection is
needed, we switch to a 1 1/4" spindle... I have seen French spindles that
were 2" and 3" in diameter!... of course, those were using knives that
would project much more than simply a "kiss" cut... and the cutting knife
would actually pass through the spindle and project out the other side and
follow the  shape of the cutting profile, never to cut though, only to
serve as a balance to the entire spindle...problem there was if the spindle
was 3" in diameter, and the knife projected out 2"(on both sides of the
spindle), that made the knife a total of 7" long!...spinning that set up at
almost 15,000 RPM, sounded like a helicopter taking off!... and it felt
like a fan was blowing air into your face!... very intimidating and not for
the weak of heart!... as sometimes the knife would break... we never went
near any of that... if we ever had to make a deep crown moulding, for
example, we would just make the moulding up in pieces and then glue it
together... in todays world, you can set up two knives into a specific
cutter head and, using a profile grinding machine, grind both knives to the
profile that is needed for the job... and each knife will actually do it's
share of cutting the work piece, as the profile grinder is that accurate...
and the edge of the knives have a corrugation on them(think finger joint)
so they cannot slip out... this is commonly referred to as a "lock edge
knife"... larger companies would have a profile grinder in house, but you
could simply order what you need from specialty houses that provide this
service on a per job basis... hope I have answered your question... joe