From: 'joe biunno' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
Sent: Mar 7, 2018 12:55 PM
To: Legacy Ornamental Mills
Subject: Re: milling work, not on a legacy

hi Mac!... in this type of setup, the rule "less is better" strongly applies... what happens here, in the spindle, is there is a centered bolt coming down from the top of the spindle... this bolt is tightened against the top of the cutting knife... then a lock nut on the bolt is tightened so the bolt will not loosen... but this is a contradiction,
as the pressure of the bolt is a downward pressure onto the top of the knife, while the lock nut is pulling the bolt away from the top of the knife... there is a very careful balance here of just how tight to make the bolt(without damaging the knife) and how tight to make the lock nut... in your suggestion, you mention "other cutter slots", well, there are no other slots...there is just the one slot, which is about 4" tall, in the center of the spindle...now if you meant putting a cutter blank on top of the your cutting knife, then locking those two knives down as described above, then yes, you could do that...but then there is a greater risk of some slippage between the two knives and thus, maybe!, the knives coming loose and being thrown out of the spindle, which is the danger part here, obviously... and why this type of set up was discontinued many years ago... so, that is almost never done... but the mantra here is simple..." DON'T GET GREEDY!"... only use a single knife that will project a small amount... if you adhere to this, then there will not be a balance problem, and the danger factor is reduced greatly... remember, the spindle is 1" in diameter, so it has some "umph" to it... and when a bit more projection is needed, we switch to a 1 1/4" spindle... I have seen French spindles that were 2" and 3" in diameter!... of course, those were using knives that would project much more than simply a "kiss" cut... and the cutting knife would actually pass through the spindle and project out the other side and follow the  shape of the cutting profile, never to cut though, only to serve as a balance to the entire spindle...problem there was if the spindle was 3" in diameter, and the knife projected out 2"(on both sides of the spindle), that made the knife a total of 7" long!...spinning that set up at almost 15,000 RPM, sounded like a helicopter taking off!... and it felt like a fan was blowing air into your face!... very intimidating and not for the weak of heart!... as sometimes the knife would break... we never went near any of that... if we ever had to make a deep crown moulding, for example, we would just make the moulding up in pieces and then glue it together... in todays world, you can set up two knives into a specific cutter head and, using a profile grinding machine, grind both knives to the profile that is needed for the job... and each knife will actually do it's share of cutting the work piece, as the profile grinder is that accurate... and the edge of the knives have a corrugation on them(think finger joint) so they cannot slip out... this is commonly referred to as a "lock edge knife"... larger companies would have a profile grinder in house, but you could simply order what you need from specialty houses that provide this service on a per job basis... hope I have answered your question... joe