HelloI can not answer for what Mike did. But I have a good method to cut on a
tapper that has served me well.
Cut form the side for the spindle using a template, and a side cutting router
bit.. (you could also use a ball bearing on a router bit riding on the side of
a spindle, but this method has its own draw backs, due to the bearing falling
into a grove that was already cut.ruining the part...)Any of these Magnate bits
will do a good job cutting form the side to make a
rope..http://www.magnate.net/SearchResults.asp?Cat=900224
http://www.magnate.net/SearchResults.asp?Cat=900158
http://www.magnate.net/SearchResults.asp?Cat=900159
NOW if you want to experiment on new ideas. Try this  "Pung" idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh1JTcyLWOI
I Hope this helps?
Talk to you all more latter.
C.A.G.