Those are all good points

I would not be trying to move the centers.  What I would do is give the pumping, pattern following motion to the z axis.  Then I would have a "walker" that would be able to use the acme threaded rod as a way to continue the pattern down a long length.  So for just something to think about and a different way to look at it, there you go.

Mike OK