A hex shaft could work as well.  Even two shaft clamps on a round shaft would
work.  I know from error that a single shaft on the leadscrew is very prone to
slipping!

Another thing you have possibly not considered is phasing the cuts.  By
rotating the cam on the shaft you can get different starting points of your
pattern.  This creates a large array of what appears to be complicated effects
that are very simple to duplicate.

I disagree about timing being a problem.  With gears or chain either work well
enough in the real world.  Paul  Cler used gears and chain on his early
machines.  Gears where used back in the 1800's, why reinvent the wheel:-)

Tim