Bill,

Thanks.  As usual, you are a stellar contributor to The Group - and we appreciate it.

Please, NOTE:  I changed the Subject line - so this Discussion will be MUCH easier to find later.

From: Bill Bulkeley
Sent: Feb 17, 2019 6:19 PM
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: the archives

 This is what I did to make the my one in the pic

I started with a 2 1/2 square piece I think it was

Then using a 1 inch strait bit or planeing bit I milled a groove across the top 2 inches from the head stock leaving some wood for the base and 1inch deep then 1inch deep at the tailstock end an inch from the end (remember a groove do not rotate the work while milling it) now rotate the work ½ a turn 180degrees and repeat this makes the start and the finish of the ribbon twist a half inch thick.

Then I used a long 1/2inch spiral bit. the mills pitch was 7 ½ inches

Start at the head stock end and set the grooves perfectly vertical set the bit the full depth if the work 2 ½ inches deep from the top

now Come in from the side engage the leadscrew and mill the first side of the twist,  take several cuts you can’t do it in one cut you must take it easy . cuts are put on with the cross slide your last cut this side will start just be touching the vertical groove. when finished wind cross side out disengauge leadscrew slide the saddle along exactly 3 ¾ inches which is half the pitch and engage the leadscrew this will set it for the other side. Now mill the second side of the ribbon.

Pease forgive my description I’m not good at explaining i should have done a video back then but I didn’t in those days everyone  knew how to do it .

Now that’s the ribbon twist I did in my pic the norm is to turn your blank round and mill round reliefs each end for the ribbon thickness also they mill the top of the ribbon too but I didn’t do that I wanted mine a little different

You can see mine and legacys in the pics I hope all this is not too hard to follow

Ps  I forgot if you’re standing at the end of your mill facing the gears you mill the ribbon from the right hand side turning from the head stock to tail stock, also you could use a 2 flute strait router bit but it will vibrate lots more with a spiral bit there’s always part of the bit touching the work less vibration

Bill