Katherine,

You can certainly run it without the limit switches but I would be nervous.
It's a great failsafe in case something is coded or set up wrong.

For example, you could accidentally reset the X,Y zero point. That would
mean the edges for the X and Y would be off. If this happened, the limit
switches would still stop the machine. Without it, your router could take a
nice chunk of something you don't want it to.

Tracy